people who drive shetlands?

NeverSayNever

Visit site
am just wondering if you could post some pics and tell me what size shetlands you drive with? Can the bigger miniatures be driven or are they not strong enough? Im talking a pony of about 34 ". thanks

Bennions Field

Visit site
sorry dont have any pictures to hand, but i used to drive my 36" shetland, he was a mini (ie very fine) who grew bigger. he was a super driving pony and soooo well behaved. he was easy to break into driving and loved it :) and was also loved by all who saw him, he was jet black and had a red exercise cart, with red and black cloth under the surcingle.

i drove him from when he was 3 1/2 (very lightly to start with) he worked up to going on 5-6 mile drives with one adult in the cart, but felt sure he would have easily managed more. sadly he developed a metabolic disorder similar to cushings and i lost him when he was 12, he is very much missed :(

best of luck if you do decide to drive, but would recommend getting the pony broken in proffessionally, there are plenty of helpfull people at local driving clubs, just google your local area's affliliate.

rhino

Visit site
Is it a decent stocky sort of shetland? With a fairly lightweight vehicle I think you would be fine :)

One of my old friends had 2 miniatures (32" and falabella crosses so less chunky than miniature shetlands) which she used to drive as a pair - they were good scurry ponies and could quite happily go on fun rides/drives with 2 adults on board :)

LisW

Visit site
I drive 32" minis as a pair.
ogz59g.jpg

rhino

Visit site
One of my old friends had 2 miniatures (32" and falabella crosses so less chunky than miniature shetlands) which she used to drive as a pair - they were good scurry ponies and could quite happily go on fun rides/drives with 2 adults on board :)

I drive 32" minis as a pair.
ogz59g.jpg

I was hoping you would post ;)

Note: LisW is not my 'old friend' but these were the ponies I was referring to in my post (with their previous owner) :D Small world!

NeverSayNever

Visit site
hmm, well she's not registered so not actually sure if she is miniature or not, only that she is about 34 inches. She isnt the chunkiest but Ive also seen finer.

sorry not the best pic

DSCF0470.jpg

im lucky in that I live next to a place that hold driving trials at their house and also have several other driving contacts in the area ive been put on to that I can get to help if I decided to go ahead. Primarily she is a a lead rein pony for family and freinds kids and my own later on;) and also a companion. she is literally a saint, and only 5 bless her.