People who let their dogs cock their legs over everything ?

P3LH

Visit site
The breeder of my remaining old rough collie told me when we first went to collect him many moons ago ‘dogs don’t have to stop and sniff every bit of piss stain, or cock their leg up every blade of grass - you simply tell them no like you would with any other behaviour you don’t want’

Worked for me with both rough collie dogs. Before that it was only bitches here, and one castrated dog. Until recently I had two intact dogs and an intact bitch. I’d only separate when she was in season when she started to get too interested in them, other than that the boys were simply not bothered after being told it was a nonnegotiable when first expressing a bit of curiosity when she first came into heat. Blue boy used to get whiny, but I’m quite certain that was more to do with separating the Sherman tank from them than anything else! All in the management. Like anything, they don’t have to be unruly sex pests.

I have never had humping of each other, other dogs, people or furniture with my intact dogs either. I actually have found both castrated dogs we had to be much more hassle, much more hump focused and serial leg cockers even with their pockets picked! One was done before I knew better, and made him unruly and neurotic. The other was done for medical reasons - he was a small yorkie and, to be frank - his balls were too big and caused problems with his back legs!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
There is a woman who walks a mini Schnauzer near me and it literally stops every 20 seconds or so. It's excruciating if you're stuck behind her on a narrow path.

I run my adult dogs off a bike, I can't imagine having to stop every time they fancied marking something.

Labaire

Visit site
There is a woman who walks a mini Schnauzer near me and it literally stops every 20 seconds or so. It's excruciating if you're stuck behind her on a narrow path.

I run my adult dogs off a bike, I can't imagine having to stop every time they fancied marking something.

I can’t say Quarrie never does it canicrossing but he’s a slave to his nose-Fitz just keeps on going and clicks into work mode, different dogs bred for different jobs though. Certainly if we are meandering up the road they are allowed to sniff/wee/investigate at will unless walking to heel.

maisie06

Visit site
Don’t get me started. I groom a few dogs who come in to my salon and pee on everything over and over- my walls, shelving units, fan, drawer units...

I run a pet store and the amount of owners who let their dogs pee everywhere is unreal....I politely hand them a mop if i see their dog weeing.....some people are lovely and will apologise and ask for tissue and spray but these are few and far between,,,,,and now they have opened a cafe on site the owner has decided to be dog , not only because of pee but owners can't be trusted with extendable leads either...

Parrotperson

Visit site
I much prefer males, I have found mine cleaner/easier to clock when they're about to go.

Just a general comment, but if people aren't prepared to commit to taking very young pups outside every 20-30 minutes, if not less, when they are tiny, male or female, and then increase the time as they grow, and monitor all food and water intake, then they should probably either accept that there will be more accidents in the house or consider getting an older dog, IMO. Even with an open door, a very young dog may not instinctively 'know' that is where it is supposed to toilet.

Absolutely this. If you aren't prepared to put your pups out frequently enough there they won't learn. I never let mine wee in the house from day one and that includes overnight. I get up and let pup out to wee as much as is needed gradually getting the times down so eventually they can hold their bladder.

puppy training pads are a big no no from me! How do they learn the difference between weeing in the house and not weeing in the house?!

Of course I'm lumbered with a husband who knows this but will get up to let pup out (if I'm not around) then get waylaid doing something else for a minute (I'll just make a cup of tea....that kind of thing) ??. so puppy training is down to me otherwise it would never happen!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I hate those leads in the hands of the general public. The number of idiots who come into the vet office on flexi-leads and harnesses is mind boggling. It is like these people have no clue that they have NO control over their dogs.

I once saw a spaniel-tye pup, about 4 months old, get run over because the stupid owner had it on an extended lead and, at a massive road junction, was busy with her phone, instead of watching the dog. I wanted to go over and punch her but I was a passenger in a car across the junction and we had to set off when the lights changed. Probably for the best.:rolleyes:

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Last night I watched a Youtube video featuring a professional dog walker in central Tokyo. All of the dogs were wearing either a belly band or pants and I wondered why - Google tells me there's an expectation in Japan that you will carry a bottle of water to wash away wees. The only Japanese people I know well enough to ask are not dog owners and are living in the UK anyway but I'm curious to know if this really is an observed etiquette.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
My friend got an ex racing greyhound and it did not stop on a walk to go to the toilet but did it on the move. If she did not watch she never knew when the bitch had done anything as the lead never even got taut.