People who showjump at 100mph !

horse.love92

Visit site
Saw this a few times yesterday , people flying around the course and the horses slipping and sliding everywhere , my heart was in my mouth !
Surely getting a slightly quicker but tidy round is better ? I know I wouldn't want my horse to hurt himself because of me yanking him and booting him in every direction ....

Marydoll

Visit site
I had a friend whose pony did this,but was like a gazelle, if you checked her or tried to alter her way of going she was a nightmare, leaping and fighting every step of the round and leaving on a cricket score. If you left her, she whizzed, but backed herself off at the jump, set herself up landed, whizzed again, set herself up and nigh on always won her classes and this pony could jump the top of the wings if left to her own devices in the ring but couldnt jump off grass

Kokopelli

Visit site
My boy used to do this, it was how he jumped and you just had to hold tight and go with it. He was very careful on his feet though so never slipped or tripped. :)

Qru

Visit site
Mine does this if you let him! It honestly terrifies me but he never knocks a jump and I just learned to point, shoot and hang on for dear life! :D we're working on it now though :3

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think you perhaps need to clarify whether this was unaff or BS, ponies/horses, jump off/first round, unstudded? It would be quite an accident for one to manage to break a leg from jumping fast.

telerimist

Visit site
Probably the reason I don't spectate anymore! Scares me so much. This is why I prefer dressage as I like to watch a partnership and harmony between a horse and rider, not a big fight and out of control horses/ponies!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Ponies do tend to go round at high speed, but they are usually nimble enough on their feet to stay upright, particularly when studded. Horses ridden at high speed in jump offs isn't particularly typical, at least not at affiliated competition, because you generally get a quicker time by cutting a tighter line than by moving faster, and you are far more likely to leave the poles up.

slumdog

Visit site
My crazy pony is like this, she did actually slow down a bit over a course because she had to think but jumping at home was impossible, it's not much fun coming to a 90cm upright on a 13.2 at a sideways gallop. Sadly having her a few weeks and after a few dirty stops she seems to have sacked the job in completely, so there's a lot to be said for people who gallop them round :( there's few ponies that do it forever :(

merlinsquest

Visit site
Probably the reason I don't spectate anymore! Scares me so much. This is why I prefer dressage as I like to watch a partnership and harmony between a horse and rider, not a big fight and out of control horses/ponies!

Hilarious post, I didn't see any big fights & out of control horses jumping in the international classes 2 weeks ago at Hickstead, or this weekend at the GCT, to jump properly at a decent level you need a partnership & harmony. Not much partnership & harmony going on in some dressage competitions with horses heads hauled in with riders see sawing on their mouths, nothing like a bit of generalisation.