Perennial problem of rabbits

JillA

Visit site
Not permanently but I have someone who comes and shoots from time to time. I did have someone with a goshawk and ferrets but I think shooting is more humane. Not sure there is a good way, otherwise no-one would have had to come up with myxomatosis all those years ago

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
No but if you find one, please let me know - we are over-run with the damned things! We do have someone who comes and shoots but there are always plenty more. We have dug out their nursery holes, I think that might have moved them on a bit.

Reactions: TTK

CMcC

Visit site
Cats and Lurcher. I get very few rabbits in the garden and fields as I have always had cats and Lurchers which are keen to hunt out any rabbity activity.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I have zillions of rabbits but they are very good at doing a vanishing act as soon as the door opens as it is either a greyhound or a gun that goes for them.

Nicnac

Visit site
Shoot them. We have someone come in to shoot as well as my neighbour and I. We need to be out there every morning and evening I think though as still overrun. The flatties also catch at least one a day and eat them.

Shay

Visit site
Bring someone in. A combination of accurate shooting and ferrets (hunting rabbits with more than 2 dogs is illegal) works fine. There are usually several folk in the country community local to pretty much anywhere who can shoot and / or net. We also have local butchers who will pay for the meat. You have to feild gut and dress - obviously - but they are the ultimate in free range!

Limbo1

Visit site
When we moved into our place there was electric fencing on boundaries about 3-4 inches above ground. I seemed to help keep them out, not completely but down to a manageable level.

Fragglerock

Visit site
No but if you find one, please let me know - we are over-run with the damned things! We do have someone who comes and shoots but there are always plenty more. We have dug out their nursery holes, I think that might have moved them on a bit.

I see you are in Yorkshire. We went to the Dales recently and I was astounded by the number of rabbits, dead and alive we saw. We were stepping over dead rabbits in the roads. I don't envy you trying to get rid of them - probably like painting the Forth Bridge.

Edited to add a general question - I was told that landowners are obliged to keep their land free of rabbits - anyone know if this is true?

Merlod

Visit site
Yard cats, although I now get various pieces of bunnies left in my stables/tackroom, it's pretty grim.