Perfect Timing?

smolmaus

Visit site
The OH has said he's happy for me to go on a wait list for a stable at a lovely yard my friend has just moved to last week. It is lovely and was THOROUGHLY vetted before she moved as her horse is from the rescue we volunteer at and can only have the best so I'm happy that work has been done for me by people who know better than I do.

I was expecting at least a few months wait which would give OH a chance to finish his PhD and give me a chance to figure out what kind of horse I actually want but spoke to the yard owner this evening and she has a stable coming up at next month? So as title says, is this just a case of beautiful serendipity or am I going to rush this and end up with the wrong pony? I have access to a very experienced friend of a friend and two trainers my friend at the yard already knows well and trusts pto potentially help with viewings but I don't really have an instructor to come with me.

Alternative thread topic: Help me figure out what I want/ shop for me. Pertinent information;

Extremely "Riding School Competent" rider
32, so I don't bounce very high anymore
5'2" so 14hh and up?
Only want to hack and do riding club bits and pieces but I VASTLY prefer a forward going pony

How do you find a first horse for a 32yo? ? i like the look of this mare and also this mare but a 4yo is a very stupid thing to do, right?

Zuzan

Visit site
I will probably be going against the grain but no i don't think a 4 yo is stupid.. if you have the support you need to bring on it's a great way to build a relationship.. FWIW my horse was easier as a 4 yo than she is now at 18!!! We have many more "opinions" now ;)

My other thoughts are that for "pleasure" horses .. keep to as small a horse / pony as you can comfortably fit..

Last edited:

smolmaus

Visit site
Barbara looks good ?
Happy horse shopping ?
Shes lovely! Wondering what the catch is for 5k ? how do you ask that without asking?

I will probably be going against the grain but no i don't think a 4 yo is stupid.. if you have the support you need to bring on it's a great way to build a relationship.. FWIW my horse was easier as a 4 yo than she is now at 18!!! We have many more "opinions" now ;)

My other thoughts are unless for pleasure keep to as small a horse / pony as you can comfortably fit..
Theoretically the support is there. Half the reason my friend moved there was because there is an experienced trainer who also keeps her horses there and she is bringing on her lightly backed 3yo for her. He is a lovely 3yo but a lot of work so foisting 2 youngsters on this poor woman might be a bit much. I also havent ridden anything under 10 since since I was about 19 so it would be a risk!
At your height I wouldn't discount a stocky 13.2
Absolutely wouldn't discount a 13.2 if they were chunky enough! I'd prefer a little taller but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

smolmaus

Visit site
For a first horse I’d def go for the easier option of smaller and more established. I like “barbara” (which is the sellers name but you know what we’re like it will stick ?)
Babs is a fantastic name for a mare though!

Message sent about her, hope its not terrible etiquette to do that at... 11:40pm, prime wine time.

Zuzan

Visit site
. I also havent ridden anything under 10 since since I was about 19 so it would be a risk! ........
I'm just weird as I think young horses are easy .. as long as you have tact and patience, plus I know so many people who bought older / "made" horses and spent ages unpicking stuff and having to almost restart in some instances.

Also anything that is 4 now is probably going on 4 and half and will be 5 in Spring / early summer .. but it does depend so much on what their training has been to date too.

Equi

Visit site
You don’t try you don’t get!
I feel the markets slowed a little here but then maybe that’s because I’m not looking anymore lol I am a great believer in fate though so what if for you will come and everything will just slide into place :) good luck!

smolmaus

Visit site
I'm just weird as I think young horses are easy .. as long as you have tact and patience, plus I know so many people who bought older / "made" horses and spent ages unpicking stuff and having to almost restart in some instances.

Also anything that is 4 now is probably going on 4 and half and will be 5 in Spring / early summer .. but it does depend so much on what their training has been to date too.
That's true as well. Depends v much on the horse in question. You'd rather a 4yo with one good home than a 14yo who has been in a few bad ones.
I am a great believer in fate though so what if for you will come and everything will just slide into place :) good luck!
Exactly how im looking at it. What is meant to be will be!

Have also sent a message asking for more info about this ad but honestly the lack of interest on the FB page is suspicious. How big of a turn off is sweet itch
T1Gowkr.jpg

smolmaus

Visit site
You can't beat native ponies.?
Would love a connie but THE ENGLISH have made that market too hot for my budget ?

The yard I loan at breed Fell ponies but the only one for sale atm is a stallion. I might ask the owner and see of shes knows of any for sale locally though. The ones she has are fab, but they're her keepers.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Smolmaus, you ask how big a turn off is sweetitch?
For me it's a big no. Where I am we have flood meadow adjacent, midges all year round and its vile for anything remotely itchy, however much they are cared for and treated.
Others will differ, it really depends on location as in coastal or hill areas its easier (usually) to manage.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Smolmaus, you ask how big a turn off is sweetitch?
For me it's a big no. Where I am we have flood meadow adjacent, midges all year round and its vile for anything remotely itchy, however much they are cared for and treated.
Others will differ, it really depends on location as in coastal or hill areas its easier (usually) to manage.

This. I live by a forest and couldn't give a particularly nice life to something with sweet itch.

There are excellent rugs now to protect sweet itch sufferers, but you are signing up to a horse that has to be turned out (and possibly also stabled) in a rug for nine months of the year

PSD

Visit site
Sweet itch is a huge no for me. I had a fell with it and it was just a nightmare, stay well clear. It’s requires a lot of care, money and time and quite frankly I’ll never touch another with it! Sold her to someone by the coast and she doesn’t seem to suffer much now. My fields were dry, we had a stream running alongside it and they just get eaten alive so she was rugged 24/7, 365 days.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Would love a connie but THE ENGLISH have made that market too hot for my budget ?

The yard I loan at breed Fell ponies but the only one for sale atm is a stallion. I might ask the owner and see of shes knows of any for sale locally though. The ones she has are fab, but they're her keepers.

Another vote for a native! I've just bought a Fell pony and he is 13.2 at the moment but seems bigger. I'm 5'3 and have no doubt he will easily carry me when he's old enough. He's only 2 and So far he has been the most willing friendly fun pony.

PSD

Visit site
Another vote for a native! I've just bought a Fell pony and he is 13.2 at the moment but seems bigger. I'm 5'3 and have no doubt he will easily carry me when he's old enough. He's only 2 and So far he has been the most willing friendly fun pony.

fells for me are like marmite. You either love them or you don’t, they’re beautiful to look at but their opinionated attitude drives me insane ? maybe I just had a particular PITA but I much prefer my welshies and Connies!

Reactions: JJS

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
fells for me are like marmite. You either love them or you don’t, they’re beautiful to look at but their opinionated attitude drives me insane ? maybe I just had a particular PITA but I much prefer my welshies and Connies!

Haha I've always had welshies before and my Fell is honestly just so much easier. My welshies have been far more opinionated and overdramatic. The Fell mostly just cheerfully has a go at whatever you ask him to do and takes everything in his stride. He tries so hard to get it right. Whereas the welshies when they were his age drove me insane with their opinionated dramatics ?

Sheep

Visit site
Good luck on your search OP, I’m not too far away from you so will let you know if I hear of anything suitable. Barbara mustn’t be too far away from me if she’s Dromore area.

PSD

Visit site
Haha I've always had welshies before and my Fell is honestly just so much easier. My welshies have been far more opinionated and overdramatic. The Fell mostly just cheerfully has a go at whatever you ask him to do and takes everything in his stride. He tries so hard to get it right. Whereas the welshies when they were his age drove me insane with their opinionated dramatics ?
I’ve known some amazing fells don’t get me wrong. But mine was just so opinionated and stubborn! She was lovely don’t get me wrong but my Connie was far easier and my welsh gelding will do anything for food - though he is a drama queen ? frightened of different coloured leaves however walks past a tractor without batting an eyelid ?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I've had a lot of Fells and have not had problems with them being particularly opinionated apart from my first pony who had never been properly trained. He certainly had strong opinions. After having him and learning to deal with him nothing was as strong willed as I was ?.
If I was smaller I'd love an Exmoor. ?

PurBee

Visit site

I often browse donedeal and am shocked the price of yearling connies now! People struggled to give them away in 2012 ?

Zeus sounds fab and wouldnt put me off if the yard is near you in belfast - thats not a ‘midgey’ county on the whole, unlike us poor sods in the wet west coilte forested counties ?

southerncomfort

Visit site

Same here DD! My welshies were hard flipping work compared to Bo!

My little Fell (I'm 5'3 and he is 13.0/13.1) is an absolute dude. Laid back and sensible but really good fun with it.

Mine is from the Wellbrow stud and their ponies have a reputation of being quiet and sensible.

Reactions: PSD

Surbie

Visit site
How big of a turn off is sweet itch

It takes patience and time to manage any shade of sweetitch, even if it's mild. And on top of managing the condition, it also means you have a lot more to consider at a yard - are there trees or logs in the field they can scratch on, how much water is there, how exposed are the fields, what are you going to do if your horse is out with rug rippers, will yard staff/friends be able to put on all the lotions and potions he needs if you are away - honestly the list just goes on!

I adore my horse, but I would rather not have one with it.

Clodagh

Visit site
Seriously one euro?
I shouldn’t look on that site!
Not recommending him for op. ?

Attachments

• 4B301632-CDFF-4CA7-8A46-67B5442B870A.jpeg
    4B301632-CDFF-4CA7-8A46-67B5442B870A.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 89