Perfect Timing?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It takes patience and time to manage any shade of sweetitch, even if it's mild. And on top of managing the condition, it also means you have a lot more to consider at a yard - are there trees or logs in the field they can scratch on, how much water is there, how exposed are the fields, what are you going to do if your horse is out with rug rippers, will yard staff/friends be able to put on all the lotions and potions he needs if you are away - honestly the list just goes on!

I adore my horse, but I would rather not have one with it.
I dealt with bad sweet itch for 20+ years. I certainly knew about managing it but it is such a relief that my current pony doesn't have it. Never again!(I hope)

Last edited:

smolmaus

Visit site
Just spotted her myself, will pop her a message as well.

Zeus's person has sent me some videos and he looks to be a very lovely fella. Will pass them on to someone with more experience to take a look at ?

My friends horse has sweet itch so maybe I'm just used to her having the hassle. And the yard doesn't seem to have too many flies at all to be fair. All the turnout is on nice breezy hills. The place I loan at is right by the lough and its bloody miserable with the flies. Special lough flies that completely ignore any and all fly sprays. You couldn't pay me to keep a horse there long term honestly.

smolmaus

Visit site
Trying to get experienced horsey friend of a friend to come with me to see Zeus. He is annoyingly far away. She says he looks lovely but overpriced so that's a whole other bag of worms. Anyone wants to nosey at videos PM me, the more opinions I get the better!

Sheep

Visit site
Trying to get experienced horsey friend of a friend to come with me to see Zeus. He is annoyingly far away. She says he looks lovely but overpriced so that's a whole other bag of worms. Anyone wants to nosey at videos PM me, the more opinions I get the better!

If it helps, we drove from Lisburn to Arklow to view a horse?! About 150 miles :)
Yep just being an enabler now..

Equi

Visit site
The only reason I can think for the lack of interest in Zeus is the height. But for someone your height that’s not at all an issue. He looks brave but steady also. Def go see him, it’s impossible to tell from the videos what his actions is like so he may be marmite. Sweetitch is manageable and they’re getting better at treatments all the time if the pony was really great for you I wouldn’t let it put you off unless you turn up and he is literally bald and bleeding.

smolmaus

Visit site
If it helps, we drove from Lisburn to Arklow to view a horse?! About 150 miles :)
Yep just being an enabler now..
It does help thank you ? its not that far really, I'm just aware that its a long enough way to ask someone to come with me.
The only reason I can think for the lack of interest in Zeus is the height. But for someone your height that’s not at all an issue. He looks brave but steady also. Def go see him, it’s impossible to tell from the videos what his actions is like so he may be marmite. Sweetitch is manageable and they’re getting better at treatments all the time if the pony was really great for you I wouldn’t let it put you off unless you turn up and he is literally bald and bleeding.
Maybe the height and I don't think he looks much like a child's pony which is a good bit of the 14.2 market?
I'm a big fan of Babs! Any more updates
No response from Babs ? will venture a followup message even though I hate doing that

Upthecreek

Visit site
Sweet itch is a definite no no for me. Even well managed in the horse’s current home gives no guarantee it won’t deteriorate in a new environment. And I can’t stand seeing them itching on every fence/gate etc. and rubbing themselves raw.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Sweet itch is a definite no no for me. Even well managed in the horse’s current home gives no guarantee it won’t deteriorate in a new environment. And I can’t stand seeing them itching on every fence/gate etc. and rubbing themselves raw.
I wouldn't want another but rubbing on fences and making themselves raw means it isn't being well managed. It takes a lot of effort and money but it can be done.

Upthecreek

Visit site
I wouldn't want another but rubbing on fences and making themselves raw means it isn't being well managed. It takes a lot of effort and money but it can be done.

It was a long time ago we had a pony with sweet itch so I imagine treatments have improved since then. Not something I personally would be willing to deal with again though.

ArklePig

Visit site
He's lovely sheep. Remind me to set you on the case when I'm looking next year! Luckily I'm not looking now or I'd be trying to wipe Smolmaus' eye for them all. ?

smolmaus

Visit site
I’d also be asking the yo if they know of anything. My yo found me my horse a million years ago.
She has been asked! But to be fair I have only met her twice so she would be looking for a horse that she would want on the yard rather than one for me!

The friend I have looking for me also knows a little 14.2 mare who needs a loan home while her person goes travelling for a few years who I also said I would go see. Shes 21 but still fit so if she comes back into work okay (friend is the one doing that) that could suit me very nicely! She can Nanny the 3yo hooligan a bit ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
She has been asked! But to be fair I have only met her twice so she would be looking for a horse that she would want on the yard rather than one for me!

The friend I have looking for me also knows a little 14.2 mare who needs a loan home while her person goes travelling for a few years who I also said I would go see. Shes 21 but still fit so if she comes back into work okay (friend is the one doing that) that could suit me very nicely! She can Nanny the 3yo hooligan a bit ?

That could be ideal, but don’t get tied down long term in case something fabulous comes your way. My yo’s wife has an older boy she wants me to buy (he’s only £500) but unless I can stick him in the same stable as mine, I really can’t afford it ?

smolmaus

Visit site
He's lovely sheep. Remind me to set you on the case when I'm looking next year! Luckily I'm not looking now or I'd be trying to wipe Smolmaus' eye for them all. ?
From the videos I got he is VERY NICE INDEED and seems to be confirming that Mr Zeus is perhaps a little overpriced lol or hes a bargain????
6.4k sterling

ArklePig

Visit site
I somehow missed Zeus, I had to go back through the posts, I was too caught up with Babs ? I personally think Zeus is a wee bit over priced given the sweetich and I do think the market here is slowing down. He would have sold for that easy a few months ago but I think the same moemy would buy a lot more now. He is absolutely fab though I'm a massive fan aside from that.

smolmaus

Visit site
That could be ideal, but don’t get tied down long term in case something fabulous comes your way. My yo’s wife has an older boy she wants me to buy (he’s only £500) but unless I can stick him in the same stable as mine, I really can’t afford it ?
Good point. I'll of course be asking advice on loan contracts if it turns out she's perfect for me so watch this space!

Yeah, you wouldn't be long burning through £500 keeping him like. If it was meant to be it would be though, nobody wins if you end up overstretching yourself!

smolmaus

Visit site
I somehow missed Zeus, I had to go back through the posts, I was too caught up with Babs ? I personally think Zeus is a wee bit over priced given the sweetich and I do think the market here is slowing down. He would have sold for that easy a few months ago but I think the same moemy would buy a lot more now. He is absolutely fab though I'm a massive fan aside from that.
Oh definitely he would have. Poor timing on his owners part just maybe. I still haven't discounted going to see him anyway but will give it a day or two and see what FoF manages to dig up so there is more to compare him to.

smolmaus

Visit site
Having put a pause on the search until I can see this little loan mare, I am now told that she's had laminitis in the past and needs to have her grass managed. Not unusual but the thing I like most about this yard is the 24/7 herd turnout April-October which I don't think it going to work for a pony that's already a higher risk. If I like her (going to see her on Friday anyway) I will let her owner make the decision about whether she could cope with a grazing muzzle or not but if there is anything except complete confidence between all parties I don't think I want to risk it.

I suppose a question for the thread, is that something I should use to narrow the field? Is any 14.2h pony going to be at risk with full grass turnout? I can cope with bringing them in when it's a particularly sugary time for the grass but I would rather take advantage of the great turnout if I can.

smolmaus

Visit site
IMO it depends on the grass. Short, stressed grass has more sugar. Old ley which is not overgrazed better. Rye grass bad.
What is the grazing like?
Plentiful. It is certainly not short or stressed to my inexperienced eye but I have to say I don't know what the grass type is. All the pictures I have have my friend's horse in them so I don't really want to post him on the internet!

They make their own haylage on site which I gather makes it likely to be ryegrass? But a very good question to ask, which I shall.

smolmaus

Visit site
Since I'm having doubts about loan mare. I'm again looking ?

https://www.horsesales.ie/all-horses/14-2-welsh-section-d/

Also drafting a wanted ad if anyone wishes to comment on how sensible/ realistic this is?
Wanted
6+
14.1-16hh
Cobs welcome, sorry no full TB/ ex-racers
Mare or gelding, no pref
Prefer a forward going horse who enjoys their job
Able to live out 24/7 on grass and open to 5-stage vetting
For general riding club activities and must be a safe, sensible hack. Temperament and soundness much more important than talent.

Budget adjustable for the right horse, mid-4 figs. [\quote]