Permanent field shelter planning permission

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
There's no point in us playing the mobile shelter game, because we've only got one field, and no means of moving a bloody shelter anyway. Does anyone know the official grounds that shelters get turned down on? I'm trawling council/govt websites, but i can't find anything remotely helpful. My approach would be to just wack it up, it's not in sight of the road, and hope no one ever even notices, but my husband is not at all keen on that plan!

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Are you in a national park or a conservation area?
We're on the edge of an AONB. I've never been quite sure if we're IN it or not, and I'm not quite sure how to find out?! Our neighbours have a "mobile" field shelter that's not been moved for 40 years, if that makes a difference....

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We’ve got two permanent field shelters, concrete bases and all, with full PP.

Both applications went through fine, except that the planning officer did not agree with our first proposed site for the 30’ x 12’. We’d got it backing onto the hedge near the road at the front, but were told that it would be too prominent there. It had to be set much further back from the road and in the same line as the stables.

The new position actually works very well for us, though the field shelter is now much more visible from the road than it would have been, as it is on rising ground...

My advice is to do it properly. Nobody objected to any of our equestrian planning applications, but I do know that they were later subjected to a lot of scrutiny when a near neighbour put in for stables and an arena, and there was a lot of angst about that from their neighbours.

WandaMare

Visit site
I would ring your council and ask and if they say no, get a move-able one. We've got 5 mobile shelters, 4 of which we do move between summer and winter grazing and one which hasn't moved in 10 years. Our council were really helpful when I spoke to them and pointed all the traps to avoid. They did however make one of our neighbours take hers down after she had put down paving slabs, put guttering up and also fenced around it which all make it look much more a permanent feature.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I thought the planners had lost this one. Shelter must be movable, but not necessarily moved.
The guy who came out today to quote said as far as he was aware, because it's built in panels, and can be taken down and reassembled, it counts as "removable", which puts it in the same category as "movable". I've never heard of that before though.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Councils tend to be quite pernickety in AONBs.. At least they are around here. Someone in the next village has them turn up regularly about their mobile shelter even though they always move it.

Of course, once you make enquiries you are on their radar....

ihatework

Visit site
I don’t know too much about it other than I’m in a conservation area and my neighbours managed very easily to get a hard core area installed with a permanent shelter. So it’s probably worth going for planning if you can. At least then there is no worry

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I don't mind all that much about going through the hassle of planning permission (and the cost- £462!) But I don't want to do it all "right" and then get refused!

I've just spoken to a moderately helpful man at the planning office. He says sometimes there is some wrangling over whether a shelter is "necessary" and also over positioning, but in his experience the vast majority do get approved. So I think I will go down the official route, if only to keep my husband onside (i can't give him any more ammunition against "those bloody ponies!) But this will take months with the current backlog, so in the meantime I'm going to have to invest in some rugs....

(bizarrely enough, the exact same structure positioned just the other side of the garden fence, and called a " summer house" wouldn't need any permission)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I don't mind all that much about going through the hassle of planning permission (and the cost- £462!) But I don't want to do it all "right" and then get refused!

I've just spoken to a moderately helpful man at the planning office. He says sometimes there is some wrangling over whether a shelter is "necessary" and also over positioning, but in his experience the vast majority do get approved. So I think I will go down the official route, if only to keep my husband onside (i can't give him any more ammunition against "those bloody ponies!) But this will take months with the current backlog, so in the meantime I'm going to have to invest in some rugs....

(bizarrely enough, the exact same structure positioned just the other side of the garden fence, and called a " summer house" wouldn't need any permission)

Can you reconfigure the fence to bring the building into your garden?

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Apparently you can't just mess with the boundaries like that- if it opens directly on the field it counts as part of the field. Also, part of the planning application would be change of use from "grazing" horses (which doesn't need permission) to "keeping" horses (which does). Yawn.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Apparently you can't just mess with the boundaries like that- if it opens directly on the field it counts as part of the field. Also, part of the planning application would be change of use from "grazing" horses (which doesn't need permission) to "keeping" horses (which does). Yawn.

What happens if the shelter has a gate that can be closed at the entrance?

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
What happens if the shelter has a gate that can be closed at the entrance?
This is interesting. The shelter will in fact have gates front and side because the paddock is split into two half acres (electric tape), and this way the shelter will be accessible from both halves of the field. But I guess I might then need to apply for permission to keep horses in my garden?

I think basically I either have to do it all properly above board, or I just do it sneakily and brazen it out- I don't think I'm going to find a magic no-permission-needed solution!

mavandkaz

Visit site
I am in an AONB. so we put up a movable field shelter - it's on skids. So we could move around the field if needed.
It has been up for 9 years now, and nothing has ever been said. I doubt we would be able to move it now as it is so well bedded in. We have no neighbors so no one to complain, but it is quite noticeable, especially from the main road.
A couple of years ago we hard cored around it, and we have just put in post and rail fencing around it with gates out to the two different sections of field - so it's definitely not moving now ?

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
My advise would be to appoint a local surveyor to get planning permission for you as he will already have good contacts with the local planners and then it is all legal and above board and if you ever sell then you can show that you have planning permission for it.
Won't this cost as much again as the planning permission itself? The shelter itself will come in under 2k,which is why I'm a bit loathe to start shelling out so much on planning (and why, if it were just me, I'd put the shelter up first, and then only apply for permission retrospectively as a last resort if anyone complained!)