persistant diarrhea.. advice?

gothdolly

Visit site
I bought a horse 3 weeks ago who was in a poor state, with diarrhea, I got the vet the next day and she told me to worm with the 5 day wormer, then give him a week off, then worm with equest pramox and put him on a pro-biotic. It has been a full week since I wormed with equest pramox and he still has very loose droppings. Hes still on box rest whilst we resolve lamness issues (!) so its not linked to grass intake or changes. He is fed ad lib good quality hay, HI-FI lite, plus his vits and mins.
and Im going to ring vet again tomorrow.... just wondering what the next steps of diagnosis might be and wat to expect when the vet comes.

thanks in advance. Im hoping its not liver damage or anything awful
frown.gif
I have only had him for 3 weeks but am already quite smitten!

Thanks

teddyt

Visit site
If the horse was poor, plus maybe worms and a change of home, the gut bacteria may not be at their optimum function and health. It may just take a bit longer for the gut to start working better. it normally takes about 3 weeks for a pro biotic to have any effect

gothdolly

Visit site
3 weeks - I didnt realise that it would take 3 weeks for a pro biotics to work.

Salmonella - eek. I guess the vet will rule out everything possible. I hope his digestion settles as the lamness is improving and he is such a sweet horse.
thanks

kellyeaton

Visit site
it just could be the change of enviroment plus the worming has just un settled him a bit what pre/pro biotcs is he on?

gothdolly

Visit site
Hi Babybells - he is on Protextin....on the loading dose of 20 grams per day, he is 600kg and underweight. Im imagining all kinds of awful things so really hope he gets over this.

Cassandra

catembi

Visit site
Has he got a good appetite? The vet will maybe do bloods to see if he's e.g. fighting an infection or has a virus.

Let us know how you get on.

Tidy Paquet

Visit site
Don't panic! I have a pony who was 25 years old when I got her and she was in terrible condition with chronic diarrhea! Although the problem has improved, with the same treatment you have done, she has never entirely recovered. However, she is fat and healthy now and in her 31st year!! So it's not the end of the world. Good luck, sounds like you are doing a fab job x

Tnavas

Visit site
If it were Salmonella your horse would have gone down really fast - I had one with it a few years ago and he went downhil in less than 24hrs. He recovered with 19ltrs of intravenous fluids and a big vet bill!

If the probitics don't work then ask your vet to tube drench him with a fresh dropping from a healthy horse. Sounds gross but I've seen it done many years ago with a good effect within a couple of days.

Horses that have been on antibiotics benefit from probiotics but some need the addition of the 'real thing'.