Pessoa again

horsegirl

Visit site
Hi

Can anyone post some before and after photos to show the difference in the horse's carriage after using a pessoa? I mean photos without the pessoa pulling the horse into position. I am interested in the benefits but have yet to see any proof theta the horse works more in an outline when not using the pessoa.

bellgave

Visit site
Cant post any pics, but I have been using a pessoa for a few months, maybe once a week, I have found that on the young horse, it has really helped his downward transitions seem more fluid and he has stopped leaning on me when doing them ridden!!! Also like to do canter work in it as my boy is a lazy sod and it saves me from hard work keeping him going.

The thing I dont like about them is the price, I made mine, and modified it a little so that the adjusting is a litlle easier. all the bits and pieces cost me around £35 and it works just as well as the real thing!!!

airedale

Visit site
I bought the JWhittaker version - cheaper and includes the roller - which teh Pessoa doesn't

It has helped my young mare to stop rushing in her trot and to engage her backside more to get a more 'level' overall picture.

So not necessarily 'on the bit' type outline, but definitely an improvement where she is using her bum as well as her front legs and the trot work is more controlled, whilst the canter work has the ability to perform a canter strike off (with a LOT of oomph into the canter from behind now) and not just merely try to run the trot to fall into canter.

She's used in the thing about twice a week for 20 mins max with it not very tight at all. About 8 weeks of this now and only introducing the canter on the lunge in the last 2 weeks (but the ridden canter strike offs improved before that).

Governor

Visit site
Here you go. These are from tonight.
Warming up without Pessoa attached.

24mvucl.jpg

24mvyvc.jpg

Standing...you can see its not exactly tight or pulling him into a position. Excuse him munching on the lunge rope!

24mw19c.jpg

And working with it attatched.

24muzxh.jpg

24mvoug.jpg

Please note I wasn't asking much at the time as Governor is recovering from a stifle injury.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I have been using the pessoa on my mare. It's helped her not be so heavy on her forehand (engaging her back end more) and with her transitions, also has helped a lot with her canter, as it has a tendency to be unbalanced. I wouldn't do it more than twice a week as it can bunch them up and cause problems as well as make them feel stiff.