Pessoa Help Please?

seaview

Visit site
Hi everyone, My youngster was out on a 6 week break there and has just come in last week, I will be lunging him full time for another week or so.
The last couple of times I have used the pessoa,

Question is on the right rein he is trying to avoid working with his head and leaning out the ways so much so I have a very sore arm!!

He does not seem to do this as much in side reins!

Can anyone help?

One other question is would you alternate sessions, pessoa and side reins or just stick with Pessoa for a bit?

Thanks in Advance

Nat

UKa

community.webshots.com
not sure what this means but maybe the Pessoa doesnt suit him and a different training aid works better (e.g. have you tried double lungeing, it leaves a bit more flexibility I find and my girl works better with them than with Pessoa?)

Tempi

Visit site
it took Bloss about 2 months of lunging (once or twice a week) in the pessoa to get used to it, and its been about the same with Archie. Now they both work really well in it.

piaffe

Visit site
Due to lack of balance, my horse was the same at first. i continued, with dead arms, gently until he found his on way. goes nicely now.
grin.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
How old is he.

In my opinion a youngster would not have the muscle to support himself in a Pessoa initially, and it is better to lunge without anything for at least the first few weeks…then again I believe that the simpler things are kept with babies the better…and the less fuss and gadgets earlier on the better.

I have always lunged ‘normally’ first, then just got on an sat on mine….

seaview

Visit site
Sorry posted yesterday and then got really busy in work!

He is 5 and when he was in work in the summer we worked in side reins! this problem does go to his riding though as that is the rein he would not be as balanced in!

Piaffe what exactly did you do to help the problem??

Thanks in advance

Nat
x