Pessoa/Mark Todd Training Aid

wanderersmelody

Visit site
Does anyone have any instructions on how to use these? I bought one at the weekend on the recommendation of my vet but neither the Mark Todd nor the Pessoa one had any instructions? I looked at the catalogues and can see how the are set up but then started to look on the web and saw that there are various settings? Any advice appreciated.

ihatework

Visit site
Ok, tricky to explain in words but here goes.

obviously fleect thing goeas behind their bum.

You then have 5 clips, one of these clips to the top of the roller.

The other 2 lines with have large clips on a reel (these attach to the bit) and then a further clip that attaches back onto the roller.

When attaching back to the roller there are 3 different positions
1. at the bottom between front legs
2. halfway down the roller
3. back to the top of the roller

Unless your horse is very advanced at dressage (which I assume it isn't) then definitely go for option 1

wanderersmelody

Visit site
I've been a bit hasty - just seen that someone else has also asked about it! Perfect description how to use it though. Just goes to show - there was little old me, looking at the Derby House catalogue and I was going to use it like they show - but that looks like level 2 - I'll start with level one as he's def not ready for the next stage.

Peanot

Visit site
Hi, I have the John Whitaker one and it is similar.
The shorter rope goes around the quarters with the sheepskin on the legs as you know and then the longer ones go through the roller on the middle rein and then the pulley clips onto the bit. If you have the other end attached onto the girth between the front legs, this is the setting to use if you are starting from scratch to make the horse work long and low and strengthen up his back and quarters. On the next one up is the medium, if your horse is already doing prelim and the like and the highest ring is for the more trained horse who needs a slightly higher head carriage, the highest at the wither, whether on the same side or crossing over onto the opposite sides of the roller are for the more advanced horse working at a top level.
If your horse is already working at a fair level in an outline, it suggests using the 2nd setting.
I have used mine once, yesterday as I have only just bought it and we are doing some prelim and novice stuff and jumping BSJA with a nice outline, although we need more engagement, (which is why I bought one), so I started on the 2nd setting. I hope this helps.