pessoa training aid

Peanot

Visit site
Has anyone had any experience with these over a period of time? I am after more impulsion/engagement. It is coming slowly with our lessons, but I`m impatient.

susanjc

www.supremehorse.co.uk
Hi,

I use the Passoa regulary and it is brilliant. You can't go wrong, it gets their head in exactly the right place while engaging the hind legs - just keep it loose to beging with and adjust slowly. The shape and movement it gives my horse is amazing.

They are expensive but buy one - it takes the guesswork out of lunging.

rgds
Suz

Louby

Visit site
Hi, I bought a copy and have been impressed. His trot has improved dramatically but I think it hindered his canter.
Is it designed for use in canter??
He has a good canter and the short periods I tried it in canter he came above the bit/action whereas he normally wouldnt so Ive stuck to walk and trot and havent over tightenned it.

Peanot

Visit site
I would think that during the canter when he came above the bit, he was trying to find his balance with the new way of working. This is quite normal. It is supposed to work well in the canter. I am looking to buy one but wanted opinion first.
Thanks. anyone else??

maddielove

Visit site
i was thinking about buying one as i need to get maddie to lower her head and work through her back.
does anyone know if the other similar[pretty much identical] training systems just as good??

Peanot

Visit site
I used the Abott Davies balancing rein which is brilliant for lowering and working long and low and when she had a back problem and we had to bring her back into work long and low.
We are now concentrating on working her poll high with more engagement from behind, but when I work her in the AD, she works long and low. That`s why I ask about the pessoa. So maybe your solution would be to try the AD?
Have a read up about them, they are on the net.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
The pessoa is a useful gadget, I bought a cheap copy off Ebay for around £30 and it is fine, does exactly the same job at a fraction of the price. Not sure how much help is is to my horses in canter but definetely improves their trot.

showjump2003

Visit site
I was having huge problems with my horse, she literally went around like a girraffe and getting so hollow in the back and her strides got really chopy and short.

dizzy8.jpg

dizzy9.jpg

dizzy6.jpg

After only 4 sessions in the pessoa she is now a different horse. I can really tell the difference when I'm on her. These are some pics I took last night.

yipee.jpg

yippee2.jpg

yippee3.jpg

Eited to add: I got mine off ebay for £30, the top flyght activator one.

Tempi

Visit site
i got a cheap one too, think it was £40 inc postage. Love mine, it really makes Bloss work hard as shes everso lazy, and it means she cant leave her hind leg behind - she really has to push through from behind, which is great! definately worth the money
smile.gif

jerryallen

New User
Visit site
Hi
There is an alternative, check out the EquiAmi training aid. It is 'IMHO' even better, it does a similar job but is much easier to use. I saw a horse fall and get trapped in the Pesoa which is why I brought this as it does not restrict the horse in the same way, therefore the canter is better. I got mine from ebay.
cool.gif

horsegirl

Visit site
But does she work in this outline when you take the pessoa off? I am interested in using one but if it only holds them in position while in use then I don't see the value?

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I use a "fake" Pessoa that I bought on E-bay. It works in the same way and I think it cost about £20.

Has done amazing things for Finni and I would definately recommend it.

He was a little shocked by it at first though - he didn't know what to think of the strap that runs around his hind quarters and still keeps an ear on it!

airedale

Visit site
buy the John Whittaker equivalent - it is around £10 cheaper than the Pessoa and the JW comes with a roller included and the Pessoa doesn't - they are the same thing

showjump2003

Visit site
horsegirl, the pessoa helps in the development of the correct muscles to allow a horse to work and maintain a nice rounded way of going.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
the pessoa has been fab, have used it on my mare twice a week since june and she is really muscling up and her ridden work is better. it will help build the muscles to allow the horse to work properly when ridden.
her trot work is amazing in the pessoa and her canter work is getting there but loads better than back in june.
i tend to keep it on a lower level as she works better from behind and over her back that way.

Peanot

Visit site
wow, there are loads of good bits about this pessoa, or even the fake pessoa. I will look on Ebay.
A friend on my yard bought one and I used it once on my mare, and she was going well - although it seemed a little tight on the loosest fastening - until the bloomin thing came apart and it just trailed everywhere. I haven`t had chance to use it again as friend left the yard. That`s why I asked if anyone had used it over a period of time.
But after this post, I am definately gonna get one.
Thanks peeps, anyone else?

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
I have one, but haven't used it propely yet. Used it once and I felt my horse didn't relax and bend into it enough. He was very stiff and kept trying to bring his head up rather than relaxing into the low position. Anyone else had their horse do this?

jerryallen

New User
Visit site
i would never touch the pessoa as it is time consuming and fiddly to fit particularly with gloves in the winter. two of us at our yard have started to use the equiami training aid which is quick to fit and the results have staggered us in only a few months

vix564

photobucket.com
Not heard of the equiami BUT the pessoa has had amazing results on my little horse. Its helped her develop the correct muscles and help in her Ridden work. She's gone from nose in the air to a decent outline and decent paces.

I would definatly try one. If it doesn't work, stick it back on ebay!!

Peanot

Visit site
Thanks for the advice on the JW. I bought one on Thursday and I am going to use it tomorrow. It does look like a lot better quality than the cheaper one that my friend had.