Pessoa

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Anyone use one? Opinions?

The instructions are decidedly crap for something as important to get right as a training aid. I'm a bit loathe to use mine. Have used it once with good results on J.

Any stories, advice and opinions welcomed.

melv1lle

sams-progress.blogspot.com
I hate gadgets but I love my Pessoa
smile.gif

I agree though that the instructions are rubbish. Your best bet is to find a friend or someone on your yard who already uses one and get them to help. The trick is not only in putting it on right in the first place but also in making sure that it is tightened enough so that the sheepskin under the bum fits snuggly and doesn't hang too low.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
my instructor is lunging my horse in a pessoa now because she is too heavy on her forehand. I'm getting her to teach and show me how to do it.

Blackhawk

J seems to be able to balance better on the pessoa. He'll canter happily with it, but not at any other time. The reason why I haven't dug it out again as even with it in the low position for starting him off he wouldn't stretch into it and instead had his head snapped up and overbent a bit. Finding someone to help isn't an option unfortunately
frown.gif

allijudd

Visit site
pessoas are great when they are used properly unlike some else who whacks it on loosley then shunts the horse around for a good 1/2 hour before giving up...the weeks later she would do it again......

i hate faf.....but can understand that they have there place...havent used one since college though....although was that a de gogue......!

airedale

Visit site
Has anyone used the John Whittaker Int. "training aid" that looks identical to the Pessoa?

It is about £10 cheaper (69 as regards 79 quid) and includes the roller part in that price, where the Pessoa doesn't include the roller.

From pictures the JW looks identical to the Pessoa.

Anyone ?

Louby

Visit site
I bought one of the Topflyte pessoa copies for £14.95 off Ebay and its great.
To those of you who have pessoa copies can you answer this please. Mine has 3 clips which I understand where they go but my friend borrowed a dearer copy which had 5 clips and we couldnt work out where the other two went??. One clips to the top ring on the roller, the other two through the bit rings and back to the roller but there were 2 more loosely fit on the straps that pass through the bit. What are these for?
Sorry to hijack post.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
The instructions are decidedly crap for something as important to get right as a training aid.

[/ QUOTE ]

God, I can't tell you how relieved I am to read that! i thought I was just thick! BOF has got one and I just can't get my head around it!!

Blackhawk

I did feel a bit thick reading them, then just got downright annoyed! How is two pictures going to ensure that I don't wreck my horse?!
tongue.gif

I can get it on him, but is it correctly fitted?! Gods knows!!

nelliefinellie

Visit site
Some horses don't like the lowest position (between front legs) and go better in the next one up - I think its maybe something to do with shoulder restriction.

I start my horse on the middle position (like low side reins) then move up to the high position for some canter work - you are not meant to canter on the low position according to the instructions, it puts them too much on their heads- then at the end he will work into the low position and really stretch. A bit like some ridden horses wont work long and low at the start of the session but will at the end.

I also lunge over poles in it, but only on the high position as otherwise they can get their legs through it . My horse has had problems with sacroiliac and impinging spines and works in the pessoa twice a week it has done wonders for him.

I also lunge my 4 yr old in it once a week, but only on the low position and in walk and trot only, nice big circles at a slow tempo.

horsesrock

New User
Visit site
Hi

Have never used Pessoa myself but have watched others.
I think you could save yourself 70 quid by learning how to long rein properly. Long reining is sooo under valued as an excellent way of training in this country.

What do you guys think?