Pet Dremmel for Dog's claws.

cowgirl16

Visit site
Does anyone use one of these? Our boy is a bit twitchy with the clippers, and having black claws, I'm worried I'll cut too high. So I was wondering about one of these dremmel things. Been on Amazon and there's dozens, but I don't have a clue which ones are best. Are they ok for the average person to use? or best left for the professional groomers?

scats

Visit site
I’m a groomer and I have a dremel as well as various nail clippers. They can work with some dogs but they take a long time to do each nail and a lot of dogs don’t like the sensation. You also have to watch that any long hair doesn’t get caught up in it.

cowgirl16

Visit site
Thanks Scats - useful to know - they're not that expensive, but I still don't want to invest if the dog gets upset!

planete

Visit site
I have successfully desensitised my three lurchers and one terrier to the dremmel. It took some time, and a good dose of bribery and patience but they are fine with it now. You have to ensure cooperation and never try to hang on to a paw if they pull away, just reassure and not be in a hurry. It took several weeks before I could do a full trim at one sitting but we now whizz through it in ten minutes each.