Pet Shops stilll selling pups, WTH?

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Had a text earlier today from my daughter. She's visiting a friend during half-term and they both went 'shopping' in the nearby large town (should have cCty status - but that's another story!) Text "went into pet shop in town and there's a puppy all its own in a cage. Feel so sorry for it." insert sad face. I replied," I know, it's a bloody disgrace and shouldn't be allowed." 2012 and people are still allowed to sell puppies in their effing shops. Part of me wants to start a protest outside the shop placards et al aswell as sticking a bomb up the fat backsides of the councillors/politicians and pet shop owners who allow and sell these pups. Nevermind backstreet, It's flaming puppy farming on the high street!:)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Harrods sell puppies in their pet department.:mad: I know there are far fewer pet shops selling pups nowadays but just one is one too many, what are the chances of any puppies in there being bred by a responsible breeder, big fat nil I would imagine.

jennywren07

Visit site
our local pet shop sells puppies now and than. the shop owner breeds the litters herself and from what i've hurd when in there she doesn't let them go to just anyone. The puppies have a large pen with part of it being a little store room type thing so they can get out of the public eye if they want and she takes them home with her at night.

I don't think all pet shops selling pups can be a bad thing but i do feel very sorry for those who don't have it as "lucky" as those in our pet shop.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Harrods sell puppies in their pet department.:mad: I know there are far fewer pet shops selling pups nowadays but just one is one too many, what are the chances of any puppies in there being bred by a responsible breeder, big fat nil I would imagine.

I know, people with more money than sense - actually, more money than brains. I bloody hate Harrods. Overpriced, overhyped and over here.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
our local pet shop sells puppies now and than. the shop owner breeds the litters herself and from what i've hurd when in there she doesn't let them go to just anyone. The puppies have a large pen with part of it being a little store room type thing so they can get out of the public eye if they want and she takes them home with her at night.

I don't think all pet shops selling pups can be a bad thing but i do feel very sorry for those who don't have it as "lucky" as those in our pet shop.

Jennywren, what does she breed, how many litters a year, how much does she charge and does she research the circumstances of the buyers?

JosieB

Visit site
Pet shop in Wickford always has puppies in there, aswell as kittens. Gave the owner an insight into my thoughts on the matter.

JosieB

Visit site
JosieB, is it just an Essex thing? The pet shop I'm referring to is in Chelmsford.

No idea! Have seen a shop near East Ham selling them, probably is still widespread.
Always remember going to a hypermarket in France and they had pups for sale there. Do your weekly shop and pop a puppy in your trolley.. Grrr

jennywren07

Visit site
Jennywren, what does she breed, how many litters a year, how much does she charge and does she research the circumstances of the buyers?

i've seen jack russles and something like a lhasa apso (not 100% as never enquired about them) equally can't be sure about how many litters but i go in there every 2/3 weeks and she doesn't always have pups in there, maybe 5/6litters a year max? Again i can't be sure of price etc as i've never asked about them but i've overhurd her quizzing people who have and seems very thorough.

of course i could be completly wrong and she could just seel the pups and huge prices to anyone with the cash but she's not that sort of person from my experiance and has always been helpfull/ knowlegable when i've asked for anything including food for a 5week old tiny pup when i couldn't get hold of a vet (and when i did get the vet they suggested the same thing)

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Jennywren, I suspect she comes across as nice and helpful because she wants to make a sale - whether it's a tin of Chum or a puppy. The only motive for selling puppies in a pet shop is to make money. I do not believe that proper checks can be made on prospective buyers and breeding 'designer' crossbreeds because she knows there's a market for ridiculously named mongrels tells me exactly what she is.:(

LynneB

Visit site
I have only ever bought pedigree dogs direct from the breeder but I can honestly say only one of them asked a zillion questions, the others didn't do any checks of any kind at all. I think selling in shops was a big no no back in the 80s but it seems to have crept back in again. Harrods have been selling puppies for over 30 years that I know of - my local garden centre does too. Harrods or Garden Centre I wouldn't buy one as I will never encourage or give my money to a puppy farmer.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I do ask questions, but a lot of the time rely on a gut instinct to know if someone is right for a dog. If people have lots of pictures of their previous dog, in the house, on walks, on holiday etc its a good sign . The one thing that does put me off is if someone phones up and their first question is "how much".
jennywren, it sounds as if the person at the petshop would need a breeders licence if they have 5 or 6 litters a year. I would be a bit suspicious of them I'm afraid, apart from anything else the risk of infection being to pups must be very high with people coming in and out of the pet shop all day, not ideal at all.:(