Petplan beyond useless!

Overgrown Pony

Visit site
They've taken nearly 2 weeks to input my claim form onto their system from receiving it and it's going to be another 10 days (or more as they apparently have a back log) before they'll get back to me on it!!

Not good enough if you ask me :s

I've never had to put a claim into an insurance company in my 20+ years of horse ownership so have no idea if this is normal?

tiga71

Visit site
I am with Petplan and I didn't notice that they were slow but then I wasn't particularly rushing myself. I had more of a problem with the vets that did the scans (not my vet). They took about 8 WEEKS to send what they needed to to the insurance people. And that was with me chasing and chasing.

I didn't have any problems with Petplan paying out though.

starry23

Visit site
I have used Scottish Equestrian Insurance Services who are underwritten by Allianz, same as PetPlan and never had an issue for a very large claim. Ok so by the time the vets filled in several forms and then they got sent and logged onto their systems it felt like an age (especially since my horse was unwell at the time - seems to make time pass very very slowly) but they were very reassuring over the phone and my vets took payments direct from the insurance so I have to say I never had an issue. I think when the claim started it took vets and insurance around 3 weeks or so to get things sorted, after that the subsequent claims went quicker and much more smoothly.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
never had an issue with petplan for either horse. - bout 3 weeks is normal though IME. any hold up has been vets not sending forms on!

Last edited:

Palisan

Visit site
They've taken nearly 2 weeks to input my claim form onto their system from receiving it and it's going to be another 10 days (or more as they apparently have a back log) before they'll get back to me on it!!

Not good enough if you ask me :s

I've never had to put a claim into an insurance company in my 20+ years of horse ownership so have no idea if this is normal?

Have never had any problem with Petplan - quite the reverse, have always found them very helpful. Why the rush, sounds like a normal timespan to me paying a vets bill is not an "emergency" situation surely.

dalesponydiva

Visit site
Personally never had a problem with Petplan but the vet practice I work at has real problems with other insurance companies delaying paying out on claims. Some take 8 or 9 weeks to settle. Repeatedly ask for histories and new claim forms completing.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Petplan did me a huge favour. They messed around the previous owner of one of my horses so much she needed to sell him to pay his vets bill. I bought him and he made such a difference to my riding and my confidence.

I've never used them though, for exactly that reason.

0310Star

Visit site
I have made 2 claims with pet plan now and never had a problem, both paid in full within days of me sending off the forms! And great customer service. The only bit I had to wait for was the vet to complete the forms. My vets has no issues getting payment straight from pet plan though and told me that they are one of the few they will actually do that with.

conniegirl

Visit site
made 3 massive claims though petplan and never had a problem with them, you are still under a month how quickly do you expect them to do it?

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I have had a number of claims with Petplan - huge claims as well. I have never ever had an issue with them. I don't think two weeks is a particularly long time. They are one of the few companies that my vets will take direct payment from as they are notoriously good.

Bennions Field

Visit site
I've had two huge claims for two of my horses over the last few years. One for colic surgery and one for a shoulder injury. The colic case was with pet plan, paid up in full quickly and without the slightest query, and for the maximum amount insured, is £5k. The shoulder injury was for a horse insured at the time with NFU, they quiried lots, wouldn't pay for physio fees, despite leahurst recommending, and then significantly increased fees the following year despite excluding the shoulder, horse is now with my others with pet plan. These are approx 5 years ago now, but I've just had to put a claim in for another one, who has a large wound that's bust its stitches :-( he's with pet plan, they were fab when I called them last week, vets get forms faxed over and said petplan will pay them direct, they said they were fab to deal with, they are a large equine practice so deal with a few. Hopefully wound will heal and bill be paid with very little hassle.

Op I'm sure you will get paid quickly, but check if they can pay vets directly, you only have to find the excess, much easier way ;-)

Elbie

Visit site
Do you know for certain that they had it for 2 weeks before they input it?

Either way, doesn't seem excessively long! Hopefully you'll hear sooner but guessing they have to say 10 days to give them some time!

devonlass

Visit site
Had one claim through pet plan and couldn't fault them tbh. Paid vets direct less than a month after claim being submitted also paid a continuation claim 3 months later with no hassle whatsoever. They are my vets preferred insurance company and I believe the only one they will deal with direct.

I haven't claimed through horse insurance before and couldn't believe how easy it was, I think I filled in one short form and they and vets dealt with the rest. 10/10 from me :)

foraday

Visit site
I agree!!!

Claimed last year first time in 5 years

They spent the first 6 weeks saying to my vets they hadn't received the notes when clearly they had been sent and it took a letter direct from me asking what on earth they were doing as they now had 3 sets of veterinary notes and how many copies or rainforests did they require before they acted!

I will be leaving them this year as NEVER ever have I seen such incompetence!

My hard earned 50 per month will not be going to them!.

unbalanced

Visit site
I was with them for fifteen years until last month and found them excellent. I had a number of claims over the years (lost count!), more than one up to the £5k limit and usually at least one on the go at any one time, especially in her later years. They always paid up and normally paid the vet directly.

Overgrown Pony

Visit site
Thanks for your replies guys. I'm probably jumping the gun a bit as I'm anxious to know whether or not I'll need to foot this bill myself :s

I do know they've been sitting on the forms for 2 weeks before even putting them into the system. That's after my vet initially posted the forms which were apparently not received, then faxed, which again they failed to receive. The 2nd fax attempt was eventually received, then nothing was done with it for 2 weeks. I just feel that it's being dragged out.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I found them excellent. Paperwork was straight forward and claims were paid promptly. My large vet practice was happy to deal with them and if ever I rang them, they were really helpful and friendly, enquiring about how my horse was and generally interested.

Of course, eventually,the number of exemptions meant that it wasn't worth paying the premiums, so I stopped using any insurance for vet bills.

Daughter uses them for her dogs and she's been very happy with the service.

ihatework

Visit site
I think a month is a reasonable timeframe.

Although whichever insurance company I deal with I always get the vets to send me a copy of the paperwork and I scan & email it to the insurance. That way no piggy in the middle of missing fax claims ;)

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
how soon did you expect? I'm no Petplan fan but thats still less than a month.

KBIS have always sorted out any claims I've made within a fortnight at the most and most vets are happy to work with them (direct payment) as they are so quick and efficient. After what Petplan did to my own vet I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Out of interest how long does it take on average for an equine insurance claim to go through? I've never claimed on my horse insurance, but have claimed several times on my dog insurance and each time it's taken less than 2 weeks from me taking the dog to the vet and the vet being paid. I would have thought it's the same for equine insurance claims?

twobearsarthur

Visit site
Had three big pay outs and a £10k claim when I had my girl PTS and they were super quick and helpful on all the claims. In fact I was in such a mess when she was PTS I'm surprised I made any sense to them.