Petplan - dropping the whip : when?

Hornby

Visit site
As you know, you can't carry a whip in the Petplan but when is the latest you can drop it? (Clever horse with good eyesight!
tongue.gif
) Can you carry it in the go round before you enter the marked dressage arena (may be helpful with spooky judges and flowers) and drop it just before entry to the white boards or must you leave it outside the entire indoor school used? Thanks
grin.gif

crabbymare

Visit site
You can carry it before you start your test, but people have been eliminated because they forgot to drop it so it can best to leave it outside the ring.
Some places have a steward on the gate who will remind you about boots and whips before you go in, others will not.

Good luck
smile.gif

Gamebird

Visit site
I don't do BD but you're not allowed whips BE and on potentially spooky/nappy youngsters I often drop it literally as I turn to enter at A. It's a bit of a pain to get off and pick it up on the way out and does rely on good memory to drop it! I like to think that the horse hasn't noticed that it has gone
smirk.gif

At any FEI events the dressage stewards won't let you anywhere near the arena with a whip on pain of elimination so it might be best to check with the steward before you ride round the arena with it.

Booboos

Visit site
I drop it as I am about to enter at A, but you have to remember!!! Usually get the odd helpful judge gesticulating out of the window as I warm up, so have to ride up, thank her and explain!

star

Visit site
made the mistake of not taking mine in at all at Wellie, so at Patchetts and Step by Step I kept it all the way round until the bell went and then dropped it.

MysteryGirl

Visit site
Was writing for a petplan dressage comp last weekend. Most competitors came into the indoor without a whip. One came in and rode round with one and judge at M (who I was writing for) had debate with judge at C whether to warn them but they decided not. Anyway competitor did actually remember to drop whip before starting which was a big relief as would have hated to see anyone eliminated for such a silly error.

Hornby

Visit site
Thanks all, haven't decided what to do yet (2 classes tomorrow), arena is full of flowers and judges' boxes so rather tight to have a look-see at everything, get in the right place for the bell and remember to drop the whip!
confused.gif
To drop it at A seems the best idea (for the horse) but the exit is by R so I might have a long walk back !
tongue.gif