Petplan Finals next week!!!! Any tips?

bugsysmum

Visit site
Anyone else with no fingernails, turning rapidly grey haired and serious amounts of butterflies already??
Having had a sketchy few months with my boy, it's been completely hit and miss as to whether we would (and still will) actually get there. If we do, there are lots of first times for us..
First time I've backed and produced a horse by myself
First time we've been to a show of this size
First time either of us has stayed at a show overnight

So, apologies in advance for the gibberings which will be coming your way over the next week - first of silly questions is do I need to take forks etc to muck out my stable?!
Thanks in advance
grin.gif

emmah

www.amazingpase.co.uk
I'm there sat night (doing the prelim final on sunday)
smile.gif

Take your own mucking out stuff and shavings they charge a fortune at shows for shavings!!

We need to get a big party arranged for all HHO people who are going
smile.gif

seche

Visit site
Enjoy it - I love over night stays!

Take warm pjs! and loo roll! bottled water, and those facewipes are really useful too!
I also take two flasks - one for hot coffee/tea, the other is a hip flask for booze, if your a T Total then rescue remedy has the same effect as a sip of brandy I think!!

Dont over analyse your test or you will end up getting fussed.

Remember you deserve to be there, you have earnt your place so show them what youve got!!
cool.gif

bugsysmum

Visit site
I'm there Fri night too!
I'm doing the Novice restricted final Sat morning...
Thanks for advice - think the lorry will be full of alcohol and rescue remedy!!
grin.gif
blush.gif

If anyone wants to say hi we're in a two-tone blue lorry with a diagonal stripe...
I'll be the one gibbering in the corner!!
crazy.gif

What classes are you all doing?

star

Visit site
i went in 2006 for the Novice - fully expected to come last and went expecting nothing and had the time of my life. Was the 1st time I'd stabled away - take your own shavings, mucking out stuff including wheelbarrow which is also handy for wheeling your tack and grooming kit etc to the stable as your lorry will likely be quite a walk away. Also take turnout rugs as the fronts of the stables are open and mine was on the end and we had a hailstorm! I was so glad I'd taken a big thick turnout rug and neck cover or my horse would have frozen! Definitely get up early and do the arena walk - worth it to get the horse used to the arena. And most of all have fun - I honestly thought we'd do nothing having come 3rd in the festival, but we came 4th at the finals!

Tempi

Visit site
Im doing the Novice Open Petplan on friday
smile.gif
Il be on the big grey beast
grin.gif
And this is what my lorry looks like:

Lorry.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

The stables are all permenant ones which are internal at Hartpury. Altho its first come first served and i know they have tempory stabling aswell. I always buy shavings there, much less hassle and its only a £1 more than normal anyways - which is hardly much in the grand scheme of things!!

bugsysmum

Visit site
Wow Tempi - LOVE your lorry!
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Can't put a pic of my lorry on as I only have it on a word doc (unless someone can tell me how)
blush.gif

I've booked us a stable and asked for a quiet one (if poss) as the boy is not yet 6! Thought I would buy shavings there too as otherwise I'll have tonnes to take with!
Thanks for the tips Star - great idea with wheelbarrow and I was planning on the arena walk too.
Oooo - another question - are the warm-ups really busy? We still have issues with other horses coming towards us so I may need to find a quiet corner!
blush.gif

Thanks again

Tempi

Visit site
Im afraid you wont get a quiet stable, they will all be very busy! its an extremely busy and hectic atmosphere.

I wont be doing the arena walks, never have done, you generally get one really naughty horse who sets all the other horses off - not worth it IMO. My horse is young too (well, hes 7 this year) and its his first big competition, i think its just one of those things they just have to get on with it!!

The warmups are always really really busy so if your horse isnt good in them then i would perhaps use a neck strap. People wont get out of your way, they will just keep riding and expect you to get out of their way if your horse is being naughty.

Dont worry too much, my horse couldnt even go in the arena with one horse standing still when i bought him a year ago....... You just need to be positive and dont let your horse know you are worried. x

bugsysmum

Visit site
Oh my - that's so not good news about the warm up!
He sees another horse coming towards him and spins round and takes off in the other direction!
crazy.gif
Caused by a fright at Towerlands when they were almost riding me off last year - and he hasn't got over it properly yet. He's ok if it's fairly quiet but not if it's really busy.
Thanks Kick_on - I'm so pleased you've told me that!!
grin.gif

I was going to ask if anyone knew of a path!
Can anyone tell me if there's a lunging area?
confused.gif

Thanks again for all your help everyone - hope to see you there!
Tempi - which classes are you doing? Will look out for you...

star

Visit site
the arena walk is just in walk and it was very civilised when i did it. the warm-up was full of Advanced horses and just crazy. I was glad I spent a good hour in the arena walk because I only did 10mins in the proper warm-up and that was pretty stressful due to it being so busy and nearly getting run over by advanced horses all the time - they go in unexpected directions! Mind you, Hartbury has a bigger warm-up than Solihull so shouldn't be as bad.