Petplan or NFU???

Ginn

Visit site
)Got my insurance renewal letter this morning (Ive had Till's for nearly a year now!!
shocked.gif
).

Anyhow, Im currently with AmTrust (formally Equestrian Direct) but as I took out madams insurance in a bit of a hurry I figured I'd look into a few other companies and really its a choice between sticking with who Im currently with, Petplan or NFU.

Any ideas???

Also, do NFU quote the same nationally or does it depend on which local rep you get the quote from?

Thankies in advance and apologies as this has been done before.

Iestyn

Visit site
We've been with Equestrian Direct since day one and have been very pleased with them. We queried this "take over" but it is going to remain as Equestrian Direct but underwritten by AmTrust.

Visit site
NFU are good, no nonsense and I go through my local office as they are much easier to deal with and can enforce changes quickly etc ...

Ginn

Visit site
Thanks SV. I was surprised to see my premiums dropped by £60 this year!! Which got me a little worried so I think I'll ring them tomorrow and check my plan is the same as last year as I paid extra for a fixed excess etc....

Have heard great things about both NFU and Petplan aswell though so throught I'd check them out too - on my old policy PP would have come out cheaper but if my new one is all it says it is then PP is about £30 more!

pottamus

Visit site
I am with NFU and they have been great, got my trailer and home insurance with them too. I have no problem with Petplan either but NFU were cheaper for me! I also like the fact that they have one policy for all activities, rather than splitting them up and charging accordingly.

Iestyn

Visit site
Be careful if you go changing companies as some may insist on having vettings etc done over certain values or may put on exclusions if you've already had any treatment. I'm not saying NFU or Petplan would do this. Our boy had a nasty accident a few years ag and apparently severed an extensor tenton but Equestrian Direct did not enforce any exclusions as the vet stated that it would not cause a permanent problem - some may not have taken any notice of that or if we swopped to another company they might decide to enforce an exclusion. It's sometimes better to pay a little more but have that peace of mind.

_jetset_

Visit site
I'm with NFU... they were fantastic when my friend had her horse PTS rather than having an expensive operation (she had a fractured jaw and was not the easiest mare in the world... would have been cruel to put her though the op TBH). They didn't have to pay out when she was put down, but they did!

Puppy

Visit site
KBIS are also very good and I think I've heard others on here agree with me about that. Might be worth you getting a quote!
smile.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
They also paid up when my friend had her TB PTS without even telling then. Horse was 17yrs had had a year off due to a tendon injury and then went lame again. Scan showed 2nd tendon injury, so she had her PTS there and then (rather than put mare through another 8 weeks of box rest, having been turned away for a year). Real bummer as 1st tendon injury (also done in the field) had healed really well. Anyway contacted NFU to cancel policy and a few weeks later recieved as cheque in the post (most unexpected).

KatB

Visit site
NFU are very good, but are quite strict over having vettings done now, but not sure if thats over a certain value. KBIS have always been great for me.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Ginn

Visit site
Thing with KBIS is they quoted me more than everyone else as I wanted £5000 vets fees and not £3500....

Prudence

Visit site
I may be wrong, but I believe that you have to have car/house/home insurance with the NFU before you can take out horse insurance. Something to do with horses being such a high risk policy to cover......

parsley

Visit site
No - I don't beleive so - I insured my two without having any other insurance with them. I think that if the value is over £5000 for the horse then you have to have a vetting. They have paid out twice for me without any problems at all and it is nice to deal with a local company and more or less the same person each time.

elsielouise

Visit site
I've just done this same decision making thing and NFU for me too. DOn't need to have anything else insured but need BVA mortality certificate for horses over 2.5k with loss of use or 5 stage cert for anything over 5k without loss of use ( I kmnow as have policy proposal in front of me). I chose not to include and valued my mare at £4900 as L of U is as so difficult to claim for with mares in my experience as generally they are defined to be useable as a brood mare so retain some value.

Last year my mare was insured by my sharer with NFU and we claimed and had excellent and prompt payments.

Marginally dearer than pp but IMO better.

nelliefinellie

Visit site
I am with Pet Plan. They have been great. Paid up vets fees and LOU, good to communicate with, and very fair.

Heard good things about NFU too. Think both are reputable companies.

lillie07

Visit site
Im with NFU and they are fantastic- never had any issues with them paying out and they are always very helpful. I think they insist on having horses over £5000 vetted but most companies do now.

Beanyowner

Visit site
NFU were great when I made a claim...until afterwards when they tried to stick on every exclusion under the sun!!!!!! I made a £400 claim, have had horse insured with them for 7 years without ever making a claim...and basically Benson had mudfever which got infected, leg swelled up like a tree trunk, vet gave antiboitics and bute, Benson reacted to the bute and had colic and then tied up from the stress of it all (bless him)...NFU tried to put on exclusions for Colic and ALL skin conditions...managed to talk them out of the colic exclusion but am stuck with an exclusion for ALL skin conditions...bast**ds. I tried to talk to them about it...saying abot how I try to manage his mud fever and could they just put an exclusion against mudfever...but no....then they up'ed the premium...am currently looking for new insurers!!

kick_On

Visit site
NFU is choosing between these two
but i've found ED brilliant - they payout and very knowledgeable and i thinks thats worth its weight in gold

LucyDT

Visit site
NFU were great when my boy had a Kissing Spines Op last year - but when he went lame again in Jan they refused to pay; saying it was related to the previous Op. It's taken 7 months and around 20 letters and reports - but yesterday they finally agreed that they were wrong and have agreed to send me a cheque. I would never insure with them again as I fear that they will try to relate any future claims to policy exclusions... but that's just based on my experiences with them!

KJJ

Visit site
I'm with NFU, I've had no probs with them and they are paying out for Jaggles Strangles bills... without any qualms.
smile.gif

Good luck with whoever you decide to go with. x