Petrol 4wd ideas

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Might need to replace my trusty Isuzu pick up in the near future and a newer diesel isnt an option due to the low mileage I do, I do need a 4wd though as the road to our yard is impassable without should it snow. I need boot space rather than passenger, only ever a mas of 2 people in it but 3 dogs to transport as well as all the horsey stuff. The pick up is perfect so something similar in petrol or can you buy 4wd vans? Ideas people, budget probably maximum of 8k so not looking at anything brand new

phizz4

Visit site
Might need to replace my trusty Isuzu pick up in the near future and a newer diesel isnt an option due to the low mileage I do, I do need a 4wd though as the road to our yard is impassable without should it snow. I need boot space rather than passenger, only ever a mas of 2 people in it but 3 dogs to transport as well as all the horsey stuff. The pick up is perfect so something similar in petrol or can you buy 4wd vans? Ideas people, budget probably maximum of 8k so not looking at anything brand new
Skoda Yeti, Skoda Octavia Scout, Subaru. https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-used-4x4-estate-cars-and-the-ones-to-avoid/n17103

Annagain

Visit site
Are you concerned about a modern diesel due to the DPF? In terms of economy, I wouldn't say there's much difference as a lot of the petrol engines in 4x4s tend to be quite big. My Defender has had very little use over the last year with me working from home and nowhere to go with the horses. We haven't had any issues with the DPF, 10 mins at around 50mph every so often is all it needs so I just take the long way home from the yard or to/from the supermarket about once a month. Some of the more technologically advanced cars (as opposed to my shed on wheels) will even tell you when you need a longer drive and when you can stop.

huskydamage

Visit site
I had a petrol suzuki jimny for years and I loved it. Its boot is small but you could take the backseat out I guess. It was awsome loads of fun to drive offroad and I was gutted when I sold it bit like all cars it just got old and too needy with its MOTs. I kind of regret selling it though!

Spottyappy

Visit site
I had a petrol suzuki jimny for years and I loved it. Its boot is small but you could take the backseat out I guess. It was awsome loads of fun to drive offroad and I was gutted when I sold it bit like all cars it just got old and too needy with its MOTs. I kind of regret selling it though!
we have 2 of the new jimnys, they are such great fun and as you say it goes anywhere. But, the prices of the new ones are ?
If you could get a good older one, and dont mind limited boot space, they are really good vehicles.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I think Skoda have a 4x4 version of their 1.2 litre petrol Yeti. Not sure, but if they do, it could suit you perfectly. The back seats can be completely removed in about 20 seconds, and then it becomes a little two-seater van.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I had a Mitsibushi Outlander 2.4 petrol - Huge amount of space in the back, you get a lot of car for your money, Mitsibushi's are one of the most reliable car makes around and it's nice to look at. Just don't get the one with the CVT transmission, it's horrid IMO.

Kaycee

Visit site
I've got a petrol Nissan X-Trail. Plenty of room for dogs, tows well and 4WD. Got sick of DPF blocking up on diesels as I don't travel far.

huskydamage

Visit site
we have 2 of the new jimnys, they are such great fun and as you say it goes anywhere. But, the prices of the new ones are ?
If you could get a good older one, and dont mind limited boot space, they are really good vehicles.

I'd love to get another but 100% the new ones are stupid prices.
One of the main reasons I got rid of mine was the softtop rotted and one of the panels blew away in huricane Katrina ? they dont do the style of softop mine had anymore and it would have cost me a load of money to convert the roof and I couldn't be bothered. Still gutted though...

maisie06

Visit site

I bought a Skoda Yeti, mine is a diesel but there's a petrol option too, good ground clearance and decent off road, I get brilliant MPG too unlike the big trucks I used when towing horses.

The suzuki vitara is a decent little vehicle too.