Petrol Horsebox, comments please

vicm2509

Visit site
I am thinking of getting a 3.5tonne box for my horse. I have seen one that would be suitable but it is a 2 litre petrol. Has anyone had one of these who could compare it to a diesel engine?

I am quite limited to what I can get as my horse is 16.3 so most 3.5t vehicles are too small for him. I also have a budget of 1.5k. The one I have seen looks suitable in all respects, its only the fact that it is petrol that is putting me off a little.

red marksman

Visit site
They use a lot of petrol!! I had a 3.5 ton petrol box for 5 years. It was fine for pottering about locally but once you want to go further afield you are never away from the petrol station! I now have a deisel 3.5 and I get far more to the gallon. My box was a C reg so pretty old- a newer model mat be more economical than mine was.

Lynz25

Visit site
We have got a 3.5 tonne petrol lorry, just need to put a conversion liquid in it when we use unleaded as it used to be a leaded lorry. Our lorry seems much quieter than the diesel engines in the same type / size of lorry. Also you don't need to allow it to warm up like the diesel one that we have just bought.

legend

Visit site
I've got a 30 yr old Bedford (7.5 ton) that takes unleaded petrol, it prob does use more fuel than it would if it were diesel, but not such a huge amount that i wouldn't have it. I think alot depends on how well its been looked after etc as to how much it wastes. I'm no mechanic though.
crazy.gif

The only real 'problem' i have with it (that no-one including me thought of) is that i have to be careful because alot of garages are not expecting a 13' lorry to need unleaded, so watching the roof height needs a bit of thought and something you may need to consider if yours is big enough to take a 16.3, although it does depend on ride height.
Hope this helps and good luck!
grin.gif

vicm2509

Visit site
Its a ford transit box, the box is wider than the cab, there is no living in it at all (just a small space for tack) and the partitions are heringbone. When the partition is placed at it longest the measurements are as follows - 2ft 8 wide when set up the length is 8ft 3 and the height is 7ft 1.

Do you think that would be large enough? The box is 4hours away so I cannot try my horse in it before I buy it.

I cannot tow a trailer with my car and I cannot afford to take a 7.5/HGV2 test at the moment. But would like a box to take my horse to some local shows this year and next.

Aleka81

Visit site
I have a 3.5 ton 2.0 petrol ford transit lorry. Its got more guts than a diesel. The fuel isn't to bad and I love it! Mine takes my 16.2 TB with no problem height wise.
I'd never carry more than him though due to the weight.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I agree with Aleka81. It will prob be ok but would'nt carry more than your horse.

I had a transit (was diesel) for Finn (he's 16.1 hh) I used to just take the partition out completely and let him sort himself out, as with it in it was too narrow (forward facing).

In the end he hated it so much I sold it and bought a 7.5ton.

I think you will just have to give it a go. They tend to hold their value anyway.

Good luck XX

OWLIE185

Visit site
The advantage of a diesel engine is that it has greater power at low revs so it is easier to get traction in a muddy field. A diesel will also have more power when going up hills than a petrol. Diesel engines have less electric parts (no distributor etc) so tend to be more reliable starters and less to go wrong. A diesel engine is also more economical on fuel at lower speeds.

The advantage of petrol is that it is quieter and has more acceleration.

Engines in the older petrol vehicles such as Bedfords should be run on leaded petrol (2 or 3 star). For a while lead substitute petrol was available but now hardly anyone sells it.

If you have one of these older vehicles you can either add an additive each time you fill up (available from Halfords) or have titanim inserts put in the valve seats of your engine.

Hope this helps.

Aleka81

Visit site
I have mine herringbone but you could only just fit a Shetland in the remaining space.(I have adjusted the standard herringbone space) I give him all the room he needs. I am still a bit nervous driving it. But thats what I've got so I'm slowly getting used to it. Couldn't afford the 7.5 ton test and couldn't afford a 4WD drive as my only car. (I do about 20k miles a year).

vicm2509

Visit site
My horse is just 16.3 and is TBxID and is more on the TB side and is not overweight. The lady said the person before it had a 16.2 in there with the partitions still in. He is a good traveller so it should be ok. If I have problems I could always sell it on.

I dont have any plans to sell my horse or buy another one so I dont mind if it just takes him.

Im so indecisive it drives me mad! She carries 2 x 15.2 horses in there at the moment.

rach1984horse

Visit site
I have a VW LT35 3.5 ton. It has a 2 litre petrol engine. It's about 23 years old. It's fine if your not going hundreds of miles. Petrol is maybe slightly more expensive than the diesel, but are you using it lots and lots, or just for the odd show/day out ever couple of weeks. Finding good ones cheap are not easy.

I carry my 14.1hh Highland, and Highland yearling in mine with no problem. I will probably only be able to carry one when Yearling gets a bit older. If you only have one horse though you should be fine. The woman I bought my box from used to take the partition out and carry a 16.2 mare and foal in the back without any problems.

Aleka81

Visit site
With two average 15.2 plus all there gear she is probably overweight. I was really nervous about getting mine as well. In the end I just thought it's what I can afford its safe so thats what my boy is having!

vicm2509

Visit site
I think I will go for it then. The main thing I was worried about was the fuel consumption.

She gave me the measurements with the partitions in and im quite convinced my boy will fit (yes I have meaured him with the tape measure, lol).

I have found that 7.5t ones you can get cheaper than the 3.5t, maybe because more people can drive the 3.5t so they are more in demand for the younger drivers.

I will only be going out in it every few weeks, 30 miles being about the furthest we will go. Ive only had him 4 months so were just starting out and pottering about the local shows at the moment but box hire is too expensive to carry on this way.

Aleka81

Visit site
I took mine out at the weekend about 20-25 miles each way. It's not cheap on fuel that journey probably cost about £10 in fuel. Hills are slow and steady. It will take time to get used to it and the fact that you can feel every movement the horse makes and they can roll a bit. But I love the freedom I have. If its old like mine be prepared for a few teething problems but other than that it's been great! I got mine at a bargain price as the woman who sold it to me thought it only had a few weeks MOT left. I bought it at the end of May and the MOT runs out at the end of September. Silly lady
smirk.gif

Have you got a pic?

rach1984horse

Visit site
I just use mine for pottering about locally. Takes about £45 to fill the tank which is the same as my car.

Saying that I am attempting to trail mine up to aberdeen in a few weeks with 2 ponies on board.

Lynz25

Visit site
My lorry is a Bedford CF and is 25 yrs old. Love driving it one I got over the initial fear / working out that you have to think ahead much more especially at junctions!!! Our mechanic has done something to it to improve its petrol consumption. Last week I put £35 pound in and we went from Milton Keynes to Newmarket, up to Godmanchester and back to MK again and still had petrol. I carry a 15.3 and 14hh in mine. The lady before used to take a 16hh and 16.2hh she said there were no problems. The 3.5 tonne are more in demand as if you did your driving test after 1997 you have to take a further test to drive a larger box.

vicm2509

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I have now decided to go ahead and buy it. I just hope my horse fits! Im really excited now about being able to get out and about and hopefully start a little xc training on my horse aswell as going to all the local shows and not just the ones we can hack to. Im also hoping to join the local riding club as it will be great experience for us both
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif