Photos. Foal with sores on bottom and mouth

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I've never seen anything like this. It's being treated as a wound (as in foal hurt itself on something) but the sores around the mouth make me think it might be something else. Parasites? Another foal is showing similar soreness, though not so bad, right up between her hind legs.

385030_10150581244786798_596036797_10709475_1925972010_a.jpg

386377_10150581245991798_596036797_10709477_1308679581_a.jpg

SusieT

Visit site
You would wonder if there was something of a chemical nature going on. With it being bare paddock though I'm inclined now to think that that he has had a tumble/fight and ended up falling onto his left side in such a way to cause friciton type burns in those locations, unusual but possible

SophieLouBee

Visit site
How bizzare, could it be a skin disease going on around his bum, and he has turned around to lick/itch it and it has spread to his mouth?

I have never seen anything like that before, poor little beast.

SusieT

Visit site
I'm thinking a tumbleing fall, i.e scrapes his bum, maybe goes backwards/sideways and hits his muzzle too. Who knows, good thing is its getting better.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
PF, don't know much about the wildlife in Argentina but could it have been your equivalent of a racoon or similar? Caught a foal sleeping and maybe came back for another go once having found out what easy prey they are? Fox? Feral dog? Mouth and rear end are prime spots for scavenger assault.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
PF, don't know much about the wildlife in Argentina but could it have been your equivalent of a racoon or similar? Caught a foal sleeping and maybe came back for another go once having found out what easy prey they are? Fox? Feral dog? Mouth and rear end are prime spots for scavenger assault.

There are certainly foxes about and pumas have been seen... although I'm pretty sure the puma would've finished the foal off entirely. I'm intrigued by the sores on the mouth in addition to the rawness of the bottom

Nocturnal

Visit site
I have seen something like this before, but I'm afraid we never got to the bottom of it! (No pun intended...) We decided that it was probably caused by a poisonous plant, or a reaction to some type of grass. It cleared up on its own after a while.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I have seen something like this before, but I'm afraid we never got to the bottom of it! (No pun intended...) We decided that it was probably caused by a poisonous plant, or a reaction to some type of grass. It cleared up on its own after a while.
That's interesting. I've seen their alfalfa and it's not good quality and has mould. I'm not sure foal is old enough to be eating it although I suppose if toxins are involved they could be getting to him via mum's milk

ladyearl

vvv
I have seen something similar post worming. It was the parasite exiting apparently. It was only around the bum area though and cleared up quickly.