Photosensitivity

Andrew657

Visit site
I have read that following a burn from a plant such as giant hogweed - a human can get recurrent bouts of photosensitivity for several years afterwards.

Does anyone know if the same would apply to horses.

If so and you've had this experience - would you share the physical symptons - ways to manage/ treat that you found successful

Many thanks

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I do know someone who strimmed giant hogweed and their face was very sore for a while. I don't think they've had any further issues.

I have had a horse with photosensitivity but that wasn't related to Giant Hogweed.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Has the more common issue of photosensitivity caused by liver issues been ruled out? I can't help on hogweed, sorry.

Andrew657

Visit site
I'm theorising only at this stage - only evidence I have is ripped fly rugs (needed to stop sunburn) in the last sunny spell . All ripped at the same place (not seen him rip them - but he's not regularly a rug ripper) - where he got stung two years ago (not sure if was giant hogweed for certain but probably similar) . Needed steroid injection for reaction at time and then seemed total recovery. Can't see any evidence of anything on his skin/coat. Was just looking for explanations/ experiences.

Carrottom

Visit site
Years ago I had a horse who developed mild photosensitivity which I thought was due to eating St John's worth. The best thing I found to treat it was a summer ointment made from lanolin and Stockholm tar, made by Nettex but I don't think they make it anymore.

Andrew657

Visit site
Thank you for your replies - think the next stage is to spend a sunny day reading a book in his field to see of I can see how he's ripping rugs and actually workout whether he's actually in discomfort

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I've had a few horses eat hogweed ?‍♀️ and get burns on the nose as a result, never seemed to re-occur after the initial reaction though. I did find slathering the exposed skin on the muzzle with the thick sunblock you can buy for horses/livestock helped to stop them reacting after they'd been eating it.
ETA I've had hogweed burns on my arms as well from coming into contact with the sap and never had any further photosensitivity, although I might have just got lucky!

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
My horse had a bout of photosensitivity this year. Unsure where it came from but vet reckons it was something in the field. His two hind canons came out in big whelts and were hot, needed to be lathered in steroid and antibiotic creams and a uv rug on. I also gave him a liver tonic and he needed muzzled anytime at grass. It went away and hasn’t come back but I’m still uv rugging in the sun and muzzle any time he’s moved pasture.

Mrs B

Visit site
<--- He gets photosensitive around this time of the year on his nose - nothing throughout all the blazing sunshine in April and May but suddenly got sore, red skin overnight about a week and a half ago. So I presume it is something in his paddock that either flowers now or releases pollen. He was wearing a full-length fly mask, but this obviously wasn't enough.

Anyhow - the best thing I've found to both protect and heal (and it works for him so you'd hardly know within about 48 hours) is Filtabac. Highly recommend this, and it's a very useful addition to have around anyway :)

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Aniwell-Fi...O_TifEVtzZ5nU0bttDCWtYAicFLfnRpIaAhXGEALw_wcB