Physical exam for pregnancy

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Just wondering if this is 100% reliable?

Suzzie (half-owned pony) is looking quite round atm, but none of the others are, so dont think it's a grass belly. Also looks a bit lower and further back than normal tubbiness.

Anyway, vet looked at her today and said defo in foal but when he examined her, he said she wasnt.

I was just wondering if there is any chance she could be carrying and foalie was hiding? Or is it just a case of I have talked myself into thinking she is in foal?

Couple of pics from today:
Suzzie8.jpg

Suzzie9.jpg

Regards,

Hazel

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
She doesnt look in foal to me.
Id think if she was pretty close you couldnt but not feel the foal inside.
When we do the Oct 1st in foal testing sometimes the mares are scanned if the vet isnt sure, so if she isnt that far into the pregnancy it is possible.

ann-jen

Visit site
Did the vet do a rectal examination? If he did, he would definitely pick up a late pregnancy. If its an early pregnancy, like someone mentioned a ultrasound scan could be done.

amzy

Visit site
A mare I had didn't look in foal but I had the vet do a rectal examination anyway as she had swollen teats and milk. The vet felt around for a while and said she wasn't in foal but then he felt again just to make sure and he eventually found it. 3 weeks later it was born! Quite a surprise as I had only just bought her 2 weeks beforehand.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Yes it was a rectal examination.

I think I'll just have to wait and see then and suggested get an ultrasound done if she gets bigger. As I say we've only had her since Feb and she could have been covered at any time (if at all).

I have to admit I was sort of hoping she might be in foal
blush.gif