Picking your brains

cazza

community.webshots.com
Ok I have a few polo ponies, one of them is not going to be playing this year as we are putting her into foal, so to keep her ticking over as I have been told to keep her fit is to do a bit of dressage on her.

Ok plus side, she will do all her manouvers immediately when asked for them.

Down side, used to being ridden with one hand and does not have a nicely rounded neck although does hold her head on the vertical and on the bit.

So any pointers with help and tips would be gratefully received. The one thing i know I can't do anything about is the head carriage as she is in her teens and it would be too much to ask of her to completely change the way she has been trained all of her life.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Ani

Visit site
maybe start with a bit of two rein lunging so she can stratch and you can get her working a bit over her back?

MagicMo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The one thing i know I can't do anything about is the head carriage as she is in her teens and it would be too much to ask of her to completely change the way she has been trained all of her life.
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be pleasantly surprised, I started to re-train my welsh cob for dressage when he was 17, it probably takes longer with an older horse but he has completely learn't a new way of going, and he's enjoyed himself! I just found a really good trainer who was very patient!
grin.gif

lizzieuk1

Visit site
well if its just to keep her fit and busy i wouldn't worry about the head etc just have fun with her doing the movements and a few comps, sure you prob wont get placed but doesn;t sound like thats the reason youre doing it.
smile.gif