Pickle is home!!!

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Finally she is home and its fantastic :O)

We picked her up this morning bright and early, brought her home and she travelled really well in the car. Put her straight in the garden for a wee then into her crate for a nap. All super so far.

My Dad and his wife came over this afternoon and she has inevitably had lots of attention. We are putting her in her crate every so often and shutting the door but at this very moment she is going mental :O( she is crying, pacing up and down, trying to climb up the bars and desperate to get out. I am trying my best to ignore her but every 5 mins or so going to comfort her, not by getting her out but just talking to her and petting her through the bars, I don't know if I'm doing it right. I know fool well that if I go and get her out she will be quiet and will fall asleep on my straight away and she's got to sleep in there tonight. I don't like this bit, I feel really mean :O(

Now she is howling :O( help!!!

Anyway on a brighter note, here are some pics!!

Picklecominghome001.jpg

Picklecominghome004.jpg

Picklecominghome007.jpg

Picklecominghome0052.jpg

Picklecominghome016.jpg

Spudlet

Visit site
**Bounce bounce bounce** how sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!:eek::D:D:D

I remember well the first night I had Henry.... I got all of three hours sleep as he spent the whole time screaming the place down and pounding on the door to be allowed out of the kitchen! It does get better though, I promise...;) Be strong Tricksy!:D

comet&joe

Visit site
aww cute little puppy:D
shes crying lol, shes like a baby and has to learn so leave her be for the first few nights and she will be ok again :) you have to remember, you have taken her from her mother and you wouldnt be happy either, would you? :D

good luck:D

Pix

Visit site
Oh my....... She is absolutely gorgeous! Obviously she's very miserable with you though, probably cause you crating her when she should be getting loads of cuddles from me. Silly you! I will come and collect her immediately. I'll let you know when you can have her back, no need for you to take my number or address :p:D

That leaf pic is one for a photo frame methinks :)

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
Oh my god she is GORGE!

She'll settle soon, I'm sure. But would agree with others re not giving any attention whilst she's crying. Easier said than done I know but be brave, firm but fair :)

galaxy

Visit site
AAAWWWW!!! So cute!

I'm sure the fussing will stop. Have you got her a hot water bottle? Harley used to instantly settle as a pup with one (he still gets one now.... He loves snuggling up to it so much!)

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
She went quiet for 10 mins so I've let her out for a wee and she is now having 10 mins play time before I put her back in for another little while. I will be strong....I will be strong....I will be strong!!! thank you xx

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Oh my....... She is absolutely gorgeous! Obviously she's very miserable with you though, probably cause you crating her when she should be getting loads of cuddles from me. Silly you! I will come and collect her immediately. I'll let you know when you can have her back, no need for you to take my number or address :p:D

That leaf pic is one for a photo frame methinks :)

You are so thoughtfull, thank you.

She is back in her crate now and she was crying again, I just hate it, I really do. Hubby was just about to warm up the heat pad and he has covered the front of her crate with a blanket.....and she has quietened down a little. It must be so hard for her, she has been taken away from her brother and sister and Mum to a strange place. Poor little Pickle :O(

I've just re-read Cayla's puppy crate guide and it says to leave the door open at all times, am I doing it wrong by closing the door? if I leave the door open then she comes out (although has been in and out all day with the door open and she seems to like it in there)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I'd lock her in, TBH otherwise she can go anywhere, do anything. Mine were left in the cage for most of the first day while we carried on as normal, visible but paying no attention. She has got to realise that she gets nothing for whining. It's hard but you have to be strong or you'll have a spoilt dog that does as she wants and makes your life harder than it needs to be.

The blanket over the cage is a bril idea: it's meant to be a safe haven for her where she sleeps and feels happy. If it's dark and her vision is limited, then it may be easier for her to get used to it.

She is the cutest puppy ever! (And looks lots like Bear!) Bet she's gonna be a lively one!

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Thanks Cinammon, I have had a little cry, its so hard but the blanket has worked a treat, she is as quiet as a mouse now and I no longer feel like a baddie! I just wanted a bit of a balance between play time and quiet time and fingers crossed the blanket is going to help. We will save the heated pad for bed time.

Here is a little video (hopefully) from her play time a little while ago, as you said she is uber cute and just scrumptious, it would be very very easy to just cuddle her all day and sneak her in bed at night with us!!!

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
she has had a busy day. i would suggest covering the crate with a blanket, putting a large teddy (same sort of size as her) in, with a non destructable heat pad and leave her to settle for a couple of hours. get her out about 9 ish and play/toilets etc for another couple of hours til she is tired out for last wees then put her in and ignore til 6 am tomorrow, then straight out for wees and then breakfast. she will quickly learn! she will also quickly learn that if you go to her when she howls she will keep howling! and if you give in and take her to bed with you she will 1 pe on the bed initially,2 wake you at stupid times 3 will be there for the next 14 years or so. also if you play with her and she gets tired put her in crate to sleep, not the sofa or your lap (i know its hard) so she learns the crate is a sleeping place and a nice secure place to be! Good luck, you will have to be strong esp as she is very snuggly at this stage. and at least you will be able to leave her there if you go out or nip to the shops and know your house will be in one piece when you get back. Enjoy!!!!

Spudlet

Visit site
Be strong! This is the first step towards having a well-balanced (as much as that's possible for a spangle) buddy who will be a pleasure to own for the rest of her life:)

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
she has had a busy day. i would suggest covering the crate with a blanket, putting a large teddy (same sort of size as her) in, with a non destructable heat pad and leave her to settle for a couple of hours. get her out about 9 ish and play/toilets etc for another couple of hours til she is tired out for last wees then put her in and ignore til 6 am tomorrow, then straight out for wees and then breakfast. she will quickly learn! she will also quickly learn that if you go to her when she howls she will keep howling! and if you give in and take her to bed with you she will 1 pe on the bed initially,2 wake you at stupid times 3 will be there for the next 14 years or so. also if you play with her and she gets tired put her in crate to sleep, not the sofa or your lap (i know its hard) so she learns the crate is a sleeping place and a nice secure place to be! Good luck, you will have to be strong esp as she is very snuggly at this stage. and at least you will be able to leave her there if you go out or nip to the shops and know your house will be in one piece when you get back. Enjoy!!!!

I know you are totally right, thank you. She is asleep now so we will leave her until she wakes up, then as you say play time for a while then back to bed for the night with her heat pad (proper doggie one) and cover the crate back up. I know we have to be strong, we can't take her everywhere with us, she will have to stay at home on her own sometimes, not for long periods but when I pop to Tesco, when I ride and I can't be worrying about her every minute I'm out, I need to know she is settled and not crying. It will be ok in a few days I'm sure :O)

CAYLA

Visit site
You need to close the door me dear, I only mean leave open for her to go in and out if she feels like taking herself in there but close it, esp when she is eating, tired (tire her out loads) and when u give her a yummy treat, this way when the door closes its positive, crate her in the same room so she can still see u even when in there, and if u really struggle (as in the guide) crate her in your room at bnight for a few weeks, and always cover the crate.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
You need to close the door me dear, I only mean leave open for her to go in and out if she feels like taking herself in there but close it, esp when she is eating, tired (tire her out loads) and when u give her a yummy treat, this way when the door closes its positive, crate her in the same room so she can still see u even when in there, and if u really struggle (as in the guide) crate her in your room at bnight for a few weeks, and always cover the crate.

Thank you. She is in the same room as us and I just had a little sneak behind the blanket and she has totally crashed out in her bed :O)

I think we might have to get another smaller crate to go upstairs in our room if she doesn't settle downstairs tonight, we'll see how she goes. I think a friend has one we could borrow for a few weeks. Your guide is great thank you, when she started howling hubby said ' quick where is the guide!!'

Ommadawn

Visit site
Do you have a chimney?!

I haven't posted on your threads before, but have been following the weekly visit photos. Pickle is gorgeous - absolutely love the leaf in the mouth pic!

Pix

Visit site
The doors are all bolted, the letterbox is sealed and windows firmly shut!!! I do keep hearing russling in the bushes outside though!!

Don't worry we have the latest cutting tools.....

Er, I mean.... Good on you! Totally safe you are :D