Pidgeon toes... are they an issue?

_jetset_

Visit site
I have noticed that when my new pony walks down a hill she turns her left fore in a little, nothing major but there all the same (she is on loan, not actually owned by me). My farrier came today to trim her and he said the less done with it the better and maintenance will definitely help.

Anyone got any advice or words of wisdom? I don't know much about this at all, except that a friend's horse has it and he does everything he should do (or at least he used to, he is 18 now).

It's like 101 questions from me today, LOL!

beaconhorse

Visit site
no nothing to worry about, an awful lot of welshies are slightly pigeon toed. It can put extra strain on the inside of the leg and more likely to get a splint. HOWEVER my lad does it with one leg, but threw a splint on the straight leg, so there you go lol

Doesn't even get marked down for it in showing as winning the hunter championship proves. I do however make sure he is shod EVERY six weeks and if we have a major showing competition then just before the show

Sal_E

Visit site
It is a fault but I really don't think it sounds like something to worry about. My friend's competition horse (affiliated SJ) passed a vetting with one toe slightly turned in & the vet was one of the top vets in the country (writes for H&H).

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I wouldn't worry too much... it's very common and if Simon says it's no problem then that's good enough for me - I've never known him be wrong
smile.gif

Neddies

Visit site
My mare was quite noticeably pigeon toed, she was a fantastic horse who excelled at Show Jumping and X Country. She was perfectly sound until her late teens when she got arthritis in her knee's, which my vet felt her pigeon toes had contributed to. but it wouldn't put me off getting another pigeon toed horse.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... she does have a splint near her knee on that leg, but whether that has been caused by that or something else I will never know. It doesn't affect her way of going in the slightest, and is not there at trot!

In fact, she has a very natural trot... she floats rather than trots, and that's just in the field. I am so excited about channeling that into her ridden work.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
They can get splints whether pigeon toed or not. If she's blessed with a naturally good trot then you'll go a long way. I'm excited for you
smile.gif

btw my new little man will hopefully get the all clear on Thursday and I should get him next week. Maybe we should do our first unaffliated dressage together?
grin.gif

beaconhorse

Visit site
lol sorry for laughing. But we all dream of getting the trot we see in the field but rarely happens unless you are a VERY VERY experienced rider. As long as the splint is not too close to the knee you should be ok