pig oil users

Shavings

Visit site
so chance has white legs (not clipped, not traditional weather more like welshie little pull handle style feathers that can trimmed with a comb and scissors)

his field is rather muddy.. he is currently coming in black to the knees and we are not aloud to move fields til march 1st

I have seen a few of you mentioning you us pig oil (and sulphur for some) help reduce the amount of mud sticking to them

would this work for none feathered legs as i was always lead to believe its for shires and such with big feathers

also chance can be reactive to some sun creams on his nose, so out of paranoia i would only be applying to a patch test area for a wile to ensure he isn't reactive, but with this in mind would you us pig oil alone or with the sulphur?

be positive

Visit site
I have used it on tb types but with care on white legs, patch testing first, nothing has ever reacted although I use just the pig oil without the sulphur. It works well enough to stop the mud clinging on making it easier to brush off or come off if left in overnight and should also help prevent mud fever in those that are at risk.

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
My boy does have feathers and I put baby oil in to a squirt bottle and put it on from knee down and brush through, I put it in his tail too. I missed a leg once and I couldn’t believe the difference in the amount of mud on that one leg. Lol x

EllenJay

Visit site
My boy does have feathers and I put baby oil in to a squirt bottle and put it on from knee down and brush through, I put it in his tail too. I missed a leg once and I couldn’t believe the difference in the amount of mud on that one leg. Lol x

Make sure you patch test - my old Welshie was allergic to baby oil

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I use pig oil and sulphur on my Suffolks not feathery legs. When he had a nasty dermatitis infection, following cellulitis on one leg, I applied it to all four and, miraculously, the infection didn't spread.

I normally apply it weekly, using an old fairy liquid bottle. Patch test first. When the infection was bad I applied every 4 days (obviously, doing the infected leg last and washing my hands thoroughly after, disposable gloves would probably have been better)

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I used to use pig oil and sulphur on my grey arab - that and no leg washing really helped prevent mud fever. It also made the mud stick less. My understanding is the sulphur is there to stop the bacteria (?!) which cause mud fever, so if you just want to stop mud sticking then just pig oil should be fine :).

magicmoments

Visit site
Using pig oil and sulphur on my TB share horse as owner wants boots on her so they have to be really clean. Anything that makes brushing it off quicker and easier on delicate legs is a blessing.