Pig-tail metal electric fence posts

cullord

Visit site
http://www.electricfence-online.co....osts/metal-pigtail-electric-fence-346515.html

Like these above. The yard I am at uses these to divide the fields. I found out today that a few of years ago a pony was killed on the yard when it impaled itself on one of these, rupturing its guts. Thankfully I wasn't there then.

Today I was watching my mare rear near the fence line as a gelding on the other side was winding her up. Now I know about the accident I am picturing all sorts of accidents happening to my mare. She's been on the yard for a couple of years nowwithout incident but I can't get the images out of my head. We dont have a yard contract and I know the yard will not switch from the cheap and cheerful pigtail posts. Cripes, as if a horse dying isn't enough of an incentive. Anyway, does anyone else use these with their horses? Are they as bad as I'm imagining they are now :confused::(

Goldenstar

Visit site
I can see why you are worried but many horses have been killed or damaged over the years by incidents with wooden gates for instance .
All you can do is make sure the fence always has a good charge so she always is respectfull of getting close . If you where allowed too you buy some plastic posts and double fence the boundary with the gelding.

jennywren07

Visit site
the farmer has used some of these to keep the horses away from the back of a barn coz they kept rubbing bums on it (although ours have white rubber covering the pigtail part so no pointy end) the horses don't tend to go near it as theres no grass on the other side but not sure i'd want to use them for deviding fields and we use the plastic tall poles for this

RobinHood

Visit site
Sounds like the problem is having mares and geldings next to each other rather than the type of fencing.

Kaylum

Visit site
Post and rail we had at the yard a horse tried to jump it landed on it and the fence collapsed split the horses sides. She died there and then.

Whatever fencing you have these things happen.