Pilates

4faults

Visit site
Bear with me, I know it doesnt look like a CR thread from first glance but, I have a stressy ex showjumper that I have taken back to basics and Im hoping to do dressage with. We are having some trouble with canter, especially now that I am trying to bring 'up' into a higher frame rather than working long and low.

We can canter pretty happily on the right rein and I can ride her well and control the tantrums when they happen, however on the left rein I have difficulty. She then throws her head past the point of control, bunny hops, rears, takes off, you name it she will do it. I struggle because I have a hematoma the size of an orange on my left 'cheek' :eek: as a result of this I do not stretch through my rib cage or down my leg as well this side which means I then cant wrap my leg around her.

I have just started having physio but was debating trying pilates to help and as a geneally improvement to my all over flexibility and suppleness. Does anyone do pilates as an aid to riding? And do you think it works? Or is there anything else you can suggest?

I am pretty downheartened about this at the moment because it is stopping us getting out and about as I cannot trust her at a show to canter on the straight on the left rein because she knows she can evade me. Thank you for getting through that and for any suggestions :):)

Harrie123

Visit site
I go to a pilates class once a week, I think it has improved my riding a lot, especially my sitting trot. It has helped my general posture massively and I used to suffer from a bad back which I don’t any more. I feel much better after the class too. I would really recommend it.

Polotash

Visit site
I do pilates and think it's really good. I helps straighten you up as well as the core muscle strengthening work it's known for.

I'm not generally a supporter of "gadgets" but I do wonder if it's worth trying an elastic bungee on your mare, just to teach her not to shove her head up and muck about (this is assuming saddle and back have been checked as per normal). The bungy is good because when she's in the right place it will have no effect at all, you can set it so it only goes tight when she throws her head. Also, you don't need to use them for long, they learn in a few sessions.

Burnttoast

Visit site
My pilates teacher has given me exercises specifically for my straightness which I try to do every day (plus a few vanity exercises that I've chucked in for my bum ;)) and I really feel that it's making a difference - the change is very subtle but my proprioception is better and I am more aware of both sides of me, and feel more equal. Haven't been doing them long so hopefully there will be a big difference if I keep going! Ditto what Harrie123 says about back pain, too.

Twiglet

Visit site
Another fan of pilates....and anything that improves your core strength and flexibility can only help your riding. Having said that, the insanely hard 'power pilates' class I did this lunchtime may have put paid to me being at all effective when riding tonight!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I was given Pilates for the Horse Rider for Xmas and it really makes you think and would be worth a read. However you cannot follow the exercises in it on your own without at least having done some classes and know the basic techniques

It is something I will be doing regularly as part of my recovery from injury.

galaxy

Visit site
I've been doing Pilates since Sept. I've always had a bad back, wonky pelvis and see a chiro every 6 weeks. But since doing pilates I have noticed a real difference in the effectiveness of my legs and general straightness. No perfect, but soooo much better!

rowy

Visit site
I have been doing pilates since june last year and when i started uni, and my uni riding lessons in october, my instructer had said my position and general riding had improved a lot. Then over christmas I didnt go for several weeks due to christmas etc and when I went back to uni riding lessons, my instructer noticed I was tense through my shoulders.
Went back today and it felt so good stretching and loosening up my body again!

PuzzlePatch

Visit site
Pilates is great if you find the right teacher. Try and focus on the quality of the movements, not the speed and reps. It helped me strenghten my core which in turn improved my riding no end.

4faults

Visit site
Thank you everyone, I looked into it a bit more last night and there is a class fairly locally. Im going to give it a go and hope that it helps because Im honestly struggling :(

Polotash- I hadnt thought of a bungee I might give that a go Thank you :)

luce1

Visit site
i am another massive fan and believes this helps my riding!!
I have had a little break over xmas! whoops but will be getting back into again next week!

Hen

Visit site
As above really!! Helps me be a lot more supple and body-aware than otherwise, I do exercises as soon as I wake up when away at shows; that combined with a good osteo keeps me going through the competition season.

starryeyed

Visit site
Pilates is great if you find the right teacher. Try and focus on the quality of the movements, not the speed and reps. It helped me strenghten my core which in turn improved my riding no end.

Agree 100%! You have to make sure that you're doing each movement and exercise correctly or it doesn't work, when I first started doing it I felt like i was doing nothing but with the help of a really good teacher she put me in the right positions so I learnt how to do it correctly and i really felt it! So make sure you get a teacher who can focus on you and help you get started, the classes shouldn't be too big or the teacher can't possibly give enough time to each individual - I know the teacher I have prefers a maximum of 8 people per class / individual sessions.
I do yoga now as I prefer it but pilates should really help you, I know a lot of horsey people swear by it.