Pink mash

TPO

Visit site
Nope but if you are figuring out how long a bag will last based on feeding that rate I'd say you'll probably use far less than the RDA

It really swells when soaked and despite its low calories it's a wonder feed!

Michen

Visit site
Nope but if you are figuring out how long a bag will last based on feeding that rate I'd say you'll probably use far less than the RDA

It really swells when soaked and despite its low calories it's a wonder feed!

No was just trying to work out how much to feed him scoop wise ? says 100g per 100g for maintenance or 200g for weight gain/competition.. so was thinking about 600g. He’s approx 430kg..

Should prob buy some scales!

TPO

Visit site
No was just trying to work out how much to feed him scoop wise ? says 100g per 100g for maintenance or 200g for weight gain/competition.. so was thinking about 600g. He’s approx 430kg..

Should prob buy some scales!

Recently took on a slightly underweight 16.3/17hh horse. He gets a very specific double handful of pink mask, single handful of grassnuts and 100gm of linseed with unmolassed chaff (dengie meadow grass) with salt and vit/mins.

We have next to no grass, in overnight with adlib hay and hay put out in field.

He had packed on weight on that minuscule amount. Hes not in work just but but hes gone from seeing the top of the shelf of his ribs and ribs to being nicely covered and super shiny. I think we've had him approx 5wks now

So yeah no help at all but it works magic!

I'm Dun

Visit site
Pink mash is not magic for all horses though. One of my mares, the one with hind gut issues (the pink mash blurb proclaims that it is good for the hind gut) went loopy on it. The other two didnt go loopy but it did nothing for them, though they did all like it.

Over hyped, IME.

might be for you, but its been magical almost for the 6 of mine that have had it, so its always worth trying. It was instrumental in resolving hindgut issues in one

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
might be for you, but its been magical almost for the 6 of mine that have had it, so its always worth trying. It was instrumental in resolving hindgut issues in one
Fair enough, but when I was chatting to the vet nurse at clinic about the pink mash and its effect on my mare, she said that pink mash had had the same adverse effect on her horses.

So like with all feed changes, take it slowly and be prepared to ditch it if it doesn't work out (no matter what the blurb says). I took too long to make the connection...

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Recently took on a slightly underweight 16.3/17hh horse. He gets a very specific double handful of pink mash, single handful of grassnuts and 100gm of linseed with unmolassed chaff (dengie meadow grass) with salt and vit/mins.

We have next to no grass, in overnight with adlib hay and hay put out in field.

He had packed on weight on that minuscule amount. Hes not in work just but but hes gone from seeing the top of the shelf of his ribs and ribs to being nicely covered and super shiny. I think we've had him approx 5wks now

So yeah no help at all but it works magic!

I'm confused about how you can you be sure it's the pink mash if his whole world has changed over the last 5 weeks?

ycbm

Visit site
Fair enough, but when I was chatting to the vet nurse at clinic about the pink mash and its effect on my mare, she said that pink mash had had the same adverse effect on her horses.

So like with all feed changes, take it slowly and be prepared to ditch it if it doesn't work out (no matter what the blurb says). I took too long to make the connection...

It has linseed in it, it would do my spotty horse's head in. The super fibre is soya hulls and I'm very wary of soya since my TB did so badly on feed with it in.

paddi22

Visit site
we were feeding it to some gut issue ones but we had a nutritionist come to the yard (who is not linked to any feed companies) and he advised us to knock it off as he said you get the same effect with speedibeet and a good balancer. he said the linseed would give benefits, but nothing more than just feeding it in a normal feed would. and their vitamin thing is just a normal vitamin that most people are giving in their balancer or other feed anyway. His view was it's another product that sells the waste from an industry to horse people for a good mark up. Also the soya can be dodgy for some.

TPO

Visit site
we were feeding it to some gut issue ones but we had a nutritionist come to the yard (who is not linked to any feed companies) and he advised us to knock it off as he said you get the same effect with speedibeet and a good balancer. he said the linseed would give benefits, but nothing more than just feeding it in a normal feed would. and their vitamin thing is just a normal vitamin that most people are giving in their balancer or other feed anyway. His view was it's another product that sells the waste from an industry to horse people for a good mark up. Also the soya can be dodgy for some.

Last TB was on speedibeet when he arrived and done ok, swapped to pink mash and put on condition looked and worked well, swapped back to speedibeet because it was a higher calorie so I thought it would be "better" going into winter, horse looked a bit dull and dropped a bit of condition. Put him back on pink mash and he picked straight back up.

There is a whole school of thought that speedibeet is bad for the hindgut. It was a big bone of contention amongst barefoot people a few years ago.

I reckon the bottom line is that there is an element of trial and error when feeding horses. Theres an exception to every rule and despite best effort to educate yourself to make an informed decision there are always examples of what should work not working and what shouldn't that does. The joy of horses!

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It has linseed in it, it would do my spotty horse's head in. The super fibre is soya hulls and I'm very wary of soya since my TB did so badly on feed with it in.

I think one of mine is soya sensitive as well he can't have molasses or alfalfa either, he literally turns into the devil and is like his been on speed!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This is what is in pink mash.

Soya hull super fibre
Dried Beetroot,
Micronised Linseed
Protexin® Probiotics and Prebiotics.

I know it wasn't the protexin that upset my mare's gut, as she tolerates Protexin gut balancer well. It might well be the linseed, as it turns out that annoyingly she is reactive on linseed.

On reflection, though, I would never choose to feed a horse soya hulls, even if it is bigged up as 'super fibre'.

ycbm

Visit site
I found out after my TB got thin on a soya containing feed that soya is inflammatory, and I wondered why we would want any horse fed a known inflammatory substance.

Some manage it well, of course.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Both my warmbloods love it and neither are crazy. I first fed it to my oldie as he wouldn’t eat his supplements in chaff or anything else bland and tasteless. He tends to get a lot of other feed now to keep condition on so I just feed it to my younger one. Again he’s not impressed with chaff so the mash is good as can be fed in small quantities for supplement feeding. I feed one of those tiny sized trugs per feed. I did weigh it but can’t recall what it was now.

Scarlett

Visit site
I found out after my TB got thin on a soya containing feed that soya is inflammatory, and I wondered why we would want any horse fed a known inflammatory substance.

Some manage it well, of course.
I read a study, a while back, that said the soya hulls aren't inflammatory, it's other parts of the bean. Trying to find it to post it....

I've been feeding Pink Mash to my exracers since it was released, and the other Keyflow feeds since before that. One has inflammatory bowel disease/hind gut ulcers and he has thrived on it. I only feed it and a balancer to 3 of my 4 horses as its all they need, even the 23yo.

I got a young exracer last year, I planned to scope him then the pandemic hit so I put it off. After a few months of Pink Mash & Ease & Excel he was really thriving. A year down the line I have a big, shiny, healthy boy and no question over his gut health.

No feed suits every horse, but my own experience with Pink Mash, all Keyflow feeds actually, has been nothing but positive these last 8 years or so.

Reactions: TPO

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Mine all love it and are super shiny on it with no loopiness. I like the fact that it does not include vits and minerals so I can choose a balancer to suit the time of year and the specific horse. I was also told that the Protexin is not just a token sprinkle so they can say its included but is added at recommended amounts. I ddon't eed anywhere near the RDA though. It expands hugely.

Dontforgetaboutme

Visit site
Pink mash is not magic for all horses though. One of my mares, the one with hind gut issues (the pink mash blurb proclaims that it is good for the hind gut) went loopy on it. The other two didnt go loopy but it did nothing for them, though they did all like it.

Over hyped, IME.

Hmm wonder if this is why my welsh oldie has been hyper since I started feeding it. Nice and forward but very spooky. Wanted something low starch and sugar to give supplements in. Only get mug full so about 250g but swells up to good amount