Pink Powder? Yea Sacc?

Balibee

Visit site
My gelding fluctuates with his poos as most horses do and He is very sensitive to rich foods.

He cannot stomach Haylage or sugarbeet etc.

Because of the recent wet/warm weather and new flush of grass he has gone a bit sloppy and I am forever washing his back end :(

I put him on Yea Sacc a couple of days ago and he seems a bit better.

What would you all advise me to do? Put him on something long term like pink powder? or keep something in just for those times his bottom explodes :D ?

Not sure what to do for the best?

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I would put him on PP, that way it's working to prevent problems rather than him being uncomfy and then the problem being resolved afterwards. It isnt very expensive and also if you only use it sometimes you'll be on the higher 'loading dose' which is up to double the normal one, for a lot of the time you use it, whereas if he has it as routine it will go down to the maintenance dose which is very little. So it might not cost as much more as it looks.

amandap

Visit site
You can use yea sacc long term. http://www.metabolichorse.co.uk/metacalm alltech yea-sacc.htm

I'd be looking at the levels of sugars in his diet atm with the grass at this time of year. If reducing his grass isn't an option how about giving him soaked hay when he is in?
Can he have un mollassed beet? I'd review his diet and try and get it simpler myself... I've just posted this on another thread but I'd give yea sacc, a good balancer, salt and magnesium oxide or cal mag in speedibeet or other unmollassed beet as well as free choice soaked hay when he is in. No tub licks etc. or sugary treats. Try it for a couple of weeks if possible and see how he goes. Runny poos are a sign of gut disturbance, sugar being a frequent cause.
If he's out 24/7 I'd look to reduce his grass, pen off an area for eg and feed soaked hay in the field.
HTH

Balibee

Visit site
Thanks for your replies :)

He is a 17.1hh BWB. He is a pretty good do'er. Needs very minimal feeding to keep in great conition. He is on Half a stubbs scoop of Alfa A and half a scoop of High Fibre nuts and now the Yea Sacc. He has dry hay but he does get sloppier on soaked!? He has pretty much ad lib hay and is now in his one acre winter field (halved). He has no field licks/treats/lick its etc. Occasional apple or carrot but his diet is very basic. He is thriving and is in good condition, he just seems to have a sensitive stomach.

I have just bought a bag of the HIFI Unmolassed which has very low sugar and mint as have heard some good things about it. Hope I have done the right thing and will change him gradually over the next few days.

I must stress his poos are not always runny, it happens when there has been lots of rain or flush new grass growth.

Sounds like pink powder maintenance may be the way to go.

:)

Bojangles

Visit site
Or try Natural Bio yougurt works for my boy and it's cheap!! Mine has the same affectd with the flush of the grass and the new hay all ok on as he's on it.

Bojangles

Visit site
Interesting:)

:) Do you just mix a small pot in each feed?

I know very odd!!! I do get stange looks at the yard over it. As it works and it's cheap. I just get Tesco Value one 44p he get's 2 tablespoon's twice a day. Firstly couple of feds I slowing induced it he did pull funny faces top lip up and now he just eat's it all up no funny faces!!!

Bojangles

Visit site
Give it a go it's cheap so you won't be loseing out on money wise. Also if you do use it give it up to 2 week's to see a difference I saw a difference on day 4 and he wasnt struggish like he was before. If it doesnt work you can try the other supplement's.