Pinworm! How to get rid of it - reinfection

cheekywelshie

Visit site
Has anyone had a yearly infections of pinworm? Is there a way to get rid of it permanently - ie double dosing pyrantel at 6 week intervals?

A double dose has got rid of it in the past but then 6 months later its back. No idea why it is reoccuring.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

mariew

Visit site
Echo speak to the vet. I think it's quite hard to get rid of. If I remember right I'd also clean / disinfect stables.

BBP

Visit site
My pesky (or pesty!) yearling has brought in worms as well as lice to my yard. So far I’ve done panacur 5 day, which did result in a load of dead pinworm and redworm being expelled. He was a bit poor condition wise to use anything else on him. I also washed and Vaselined bottoms and sprayed down everything on the yard with disinfectant. Luckily he wasn’t rubbing his bottom on things, just pooing them out. I’ll be watching replies with interest.

Winstons Mum

New User
Visit site
I have had my new horse for a year now and am still fighting pinworm! We wipe and Vaseline bottoms daily, disinfected the stables and keep the horses out as much as possible and fenced off any trees or anything they can itch on in the paddock. Got all rugs cleaned, brought new individual grooming kits and feed buckets Each month my vet has suggested a different wormer, we’ve now been through quite a few! Their latest suggestion was to call Westgate Labs, who said 5 day Panacur Equine Guard followed 6 weeks later by double dose Strongid P. And to keep up all other measures. So far no worms or symptoms since the Strongid P but am not holding my breath….!Always best to speak with your vet as all situations are different however I did find Westgate helpful and easy to email. Have also divided my grazing into 3 sections and rotated so each piece has a 12 week rest, also poo pick daily, as you can probably tell curing this itchy problem has almost become an obsession!! Good luck!!

Nudibranch

Visit site
I bought a horse who was being treated for it. She came with a bottle of ivermectin liquid for application under the tail (prescription med). It cleared them up.

Hibiscrub isn't suitable btw. If you want to use a cleaning solution, use a weak povidine iodine solution or similar, but don't put Hibiscrub on open wounds or sensitive areas. It wouldn't affect worms anyway.

cheekywelshie

Visit site
I have the liquid from the previous infection - can I still use that or will it not be effective. Pyrantel was effective but they just come back in 6 month cycles

Fieldlife

Visit site
My horse has suddenly got a very itchy tail and hind quarters.

Been advised to treat for pinworm.

I’ve read 5 day panacur then double dose strongid P.

My yard owner said need to also use wormer in the bum to be effective. This does seem to be mentioned elsewhere?!?

Anyone do this?

And if so, anyone know if this is as well or instead of the 5 day panacur and double dose strongid p orally?