Pip goes 3 day - Blair CCI*

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Where do I start? I guess at the beginning but it has been such an up and down 10 days :confused: Everyone has always told me what a lovely event Blair is but living in Cornwall it was about as far as you can get!

IMG_0509_zpsf8f44a66.png

We left Cornwall on the Friday with a stop off planned near Manchester and then a second leg to stay with Measles in Scotland on the Saturday. Best laid plans and all that! As we came into the outskirts of Birmingham we came to queuing traffic and as I slowed changing down the gears I could not select the lower gears. I eventually managed to get 1st and crept through the jam and into the nearby services. Rang the breakdown people (NFU excellent service) who sent out a mechanic to look at the lorry. Couldn't find anything obvious and couldn't fix the problem so we had to be recovered. We then had to make a decision, were we recovered back home to have the lorry fixed or continue onto Scotland in the hope it could be fixed up there? In the end we felt it would be better for Pip to carry on up than maybe face another big journey.

A recovery lorry arrived for the lorry and another horse lorry for Pip, we had to complete the rest of the journey in one go! It wasn’t helped that we had the V festival in Birmingham and it took us 3 hours to get away from the city. We eventually arrived in Scotland a few hours South of Blair at 1am in the morning poor Pip had been on a lorry for 18 hours!

So we spent 3 very pleasant days with our friends at Avonmill Equestrian, a bit of a full circle for Pip as she was originally sourced by Avonmill before being sold to my friend Kathryn. It was nice to see a bit of Scotland and Pip enjoyed a few days to recover and catch up with old friends! A big thank you to everyone at Avonmill for their help and making our stay so enjoyable.

Tuesday we made the 90 minute journey to Blair itself. Wow what a lovely event! Set in a bowl surrounded by mountains, fairly compact and we were parked in the most perfect place over looking cross country, yet close to the stables and main arena.

Arrival was not without drama as the day before Pip had her last piece of fast work and it had irritated her white back heels. She had scabby heels which were hot and inflamed. I had visions of failing the trot up the next day. The onsite vet gave her some antibiotic jabs.

Next day while the heels were still sore (more jabs from the vet) but she was sound and passed the trot up with no effort (literally as I had to drag her along the trot up strip). Once the trot up was over it was time to take off and walk the cross country. First impressions were I was glad we had a few intermediates behind us. It was big enough (pictured is 4b and I can assure you I am on tip toes!)

IMG_0618_zps5729e0e1.jpg

There were a couple of related distances to corners but what most worried me was the waters. There were 3 waters and the first and third had strong jumps in on a related distance to a skinny. As we have had water issues in the past with Pip over jumping I was worried whether I would sit the jump in!

My other cross country concern was the distance.The course was 8 minutes 20 seconds which was long enough but when you consider that 5 minutes of this involved a sharp pull up the hill and some very undulating ground I did wonder if Pip would be fit enough! Although she has a big stride she is a big framed horse unproven at three day events.

Dressage day and Pip still had sore heels but was sound and the swelling went down with exercise. As my dressage wasn’t until 3.40 I gave her 30 minutes work in the morning and then got on again 30 minutes before the test. She warmed up nicely although we had some issues maintaining the counter canter through the half 20 meter circles. We went into the arena and I was delighted how well she coped with the atmosphere and stayed focused on me. There were 3 main mistakes, the first halt was not maintained the rein back was resistant and after maintaining counter canter I didn’t reset the bend quickly enough and we struck off wrong! However she really tried - the judges also commented she needed to be more supple to the right.

[video=youtube;7GSo5DGNz4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GSo5DGNz4Q&feature=c4-overview&list=UUNWxFGJ6YRZKARoXA6IKQuQ[/video]

IMG_0592-Copy_zps9d3f8bee.jpg

We scored 56.9 which left us in 38th place after 2 days of dressage. My aim had been for a mark nearer 50 but the judges were marking quite hard with only 6 scores sub 50.

With dressage behind us it was time to focus on the cross country. I had walked the course 4 times in the end to be sure of my lines and minute markers. The ground was perfect with plenty of cut but not too deep. My intention was to go out sensibly and then pick the pace up towards home providing there was still petrol in the tank. 10.38 was a great cross country time and meant I wasn’t hanging around all day waiting.

Warming up at a 3 day is always a bit of a unknown for me it is difficult to get the balance right of being sharp and ready to go without doing too much. Took her hacking for 20 minutes before coming back doing some transitions a short pipe opener and then some jumping.

We set out over 1 to 2 and had a bit of a funny stride at 2! Nice jump over 3 and then to the first combination at 4ab which she jumped well.

x2_zps407b1a13.jpg

x3_zps8c4fdcc2.jpg

[video=youtube;RkEWmDZBAVM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkEWmDZBAVM[/video]

Then onto a combination that had the potential to cause problems as we were turning away from the stables, it was under trees and involved a drop log to corner. You will see she jumped the first part well but then got on a half stride to the corner but found a 5th leg and coped.

Combination video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRJuhLUa6aY

We then tackled the hill and over some single fences before reaching a combination of log pile to corner which she flew through. This meant we were approaching the first water with a fair log in on 3 strides to a skinny. Sat well back and did it without a problem continuing on jumping into the next water and away. We were at this point a little behind on the clock but she was feeling fine. Popped the step bounce to palisade and down the hill and back out into the crowds. I picked up the speed a little but not too much as we were approaching the final water.

1098423_10201243689246148_423564045_n_zps67b254d9.jpg

IMG_0613_zpsbc78aca2.jpg

Water video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzd5DzBoY1w

I really picked up the pace and over the last double of corners to the last to finish 10 seconds inside the time.

Through the finish and a quick check by the vet before the team (thanks Rachael, Andy, Jodie and Ben) swung into action removing tack and washing Pip off. Within about 10 minutes heart was normal.

993683_608988742466606_1138388997_n_zps02d45654.jp  g

I was delighted with Pip and she showed she could cope with the increased distance and time without a problem. She was iced and then allowed to graze for a while.

I then made myself useful and went and helped wash down some of the 3* horses that were running. As you can see from Pip’s picture the more hands the better particularly at the higher levels when the horses have been faster and further. Mind you by the time I was finished I was drenched having had one bucket of water over my head and my shoes filled. At least I can say I had a very small part in the success of 3 of the top 6 including the winner.

Pip was taken out later that evening and trotted up looking totally fine.

Luckily for us Pip looked fine the next day as if nothing had happened the day before and was only really interested in getting out for her early morning grass ration! The trot up was in reverse order so after cross country we had moved up to 31st, sadly the xc had not been as influential as I would have hoped and most people were clear inside the time.

Pip trotted up fine and there was no hesitation in passing her.

I walked show jumping and thought it was a strong course using the undulations of the ring to make the course tricky. I watched the first few go and my confidence didn’t increase as several cricket scores were posted! This was the phase that I was most worried about, Pip has not always found show jumping easy and how would she cope after a long cross country the day before?

Warmed up and felt fresh and was jumping well. I didn’t over do things and walked her round waiting our turn. There was quite a crowd watching as we entered the ring.

[video=youtube;N2vEeu_K4uU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vEeu_K4uU[/video]

z4_zpsac6762cf.jpg

I was so pleased with her jumping she really tried for me. One down and 1 time actually managed to pull us up a few more places to finish 28th out of the 91 starters.

A quick pack and we were pulling out of Blair sad to leave what for me was our favourite three day event also saying a good bye to new friends (Measles Ben and Smartie)

IMG_0619_zps24b56204.jpg

More pictures on my Facebook page

Pip is now out in the field for a few days enjoying a short break before we hopefully head to Gatcombe for CIC** although it is currently looking like we may be balloted :(

IncaCola

Visit site
well done, Pip is looking really light on her feet and athletic and a credit to your hard work. Blair does look lovely too. I could be tempted to make the trip next year!

McW

Visit site
Really lovely report, such a shame the jourey up wasn't smoother but didn't seem to have had any ill effect! I really felt like i was there with you. Thanks for sharing and well done! I must say Pip's tail looks immaculate in the washing off pic!

Haniki

Visit site
What a trek for you! Pip looks fantastic, you have done so well with her. A great report with some lovely pictures and videos, thank you for sharing. Good luck on your next outing.

khalswitz

Visit site
Well done!! We actually were there and watched - we sat at fence 5 and 6 XC, the big trakehner into the woods followed by the log into the sunken road out and over the corner. Caused havoc that jump, several refusals and runouts, one retired and loads just climbing over the corner!! We also watched the sj - was some disastrous rounds earlier on so well done on the 5 faults!! Great result, and hope to see you at Blair again next year!!

measles

Visit site
Delighted to put you up, and demonstrate my complete lack of culinary skills :) B adored Smartie and has elevated him to 5th in line fur the canine crown.

Blair xc can catch out those horses lacking stamina or ability and Pip coped admirably. Various digits crossed that you aren't balloted from Gatcombe as she seems ready for another run this time at 2*.

almostthere

Visit site
Brilliant...I followed your journey on twitter/fb with my heart in my mouth and then cracked heels :( so was very relieved to see such a successful completion. Huge congrats indeed... :)

Horsemad12

Visit site
An epic journey in manys ways.

She looks really good and has really developed this year, I bet you are very excited for what next year may bring.

Well done and fingers crossed for gatcombe.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
So well done, glad it ended well and you had a good run, good to know that its best to have an intermediate run or two before tackling Blair - if we ever get good enough I'd like to be prepared for it properly!

fingers crossed you get into gatcombe.

maxie

Visit site
:eek: That really was an epic journey! Great report, I really enjoyed reading that. Pip looks super, congrats all round.

dixie

Visit site
Fantastic report, well done. Cant believe you travelled all that way when I am pussy footing around about travelling to Bromsgrove from Devon in a car!
Pip is looking like a really classy horse and well done you for the enormous effort and commitment.

humblepie

Visit site
Fantastically well done and what a journey. Pip has come on so well and seems really well established. Hope you get into Gatcombe.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Well done, and well done for making the journey up! Blair is a fantastic event, I love it and go pretty much every year. Never took my own horse to it when he could have done the 1*, really regret not taking him :( Would love to ride that course, always looks a challenge. Well done OP :)

bellatrix

Visit site
Well done! Fantastic result and brilliant report. Pip looks amazing. Love your xc colours :) Good luck at your next event

TPO

Visit site
Well done! Brilliant report to match your epic trip.

I have a few (very badly taken!) photos of you and Pip XC & SJ so will tag you on FB once I figure out how to get them off the camera.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Pontispool course pics on my website, good variety of fences and challenges used to be felt a soft course but more middle range now. Show jumping can be very influential although on a surface. It can get firm on xc but organisers work very hard to make it best they can.

For me will probably go straight to Dauntsey, SoE 7hrs and only 5 days before Dauntsey which I get at special rate because I help.