Pl help me make a desicion....

kick_On

Visit site
I haved an offer (at last) for someone to help with exercising my horses, no money to exchange hands, just stable duties.
Just need to sort thing out in brain??
Rider sound novice but willing (good in my book), but has only been to riding school horse environment.
I have two competition horses which are very different - one very keen/forward thinking dressage boy and other lazier eventer/hunter.
Both are safe, but can do daft things (as there both fit as fiddles) - but i really need help???
Any suggestions by you lot for making it easier to make my mind on whether to get her to help or not????????????

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Maybe put them on trial for a couple of weeks and say you want to see if you both are happy. Hack out with them and see how safe they are as you will get a pretty good idea of their standards from that.

samp

Visit site
In my experience riding school people are not very good with competition horses and hit the deck regularly

sorona

Visit site
Will she be hacking them out, will you be riding with her too or will she have somebody else experienced riding with her? I would be alittle nervous sending a relative novice out on a 'proper' horse on their own but would feel more comfortable if they were in the company of someone else more experienced who could give them some pointers to start with.
Make sure she has her own personal insurance so you do not find yourself liable for anything that may occur while she is riding or handling your horses and make sure that she is made clear about excatly what your horses are capable of doing. A lot of people who have only ridden at a riding school do not have a clue what a 'real' horse is like and can get very frightened when it does think for its self and they are in a big wide, open space with no fences or walls to slow them down!

Tempi

Visit site
hi hun
smile.gif

id ask to watch her ride at her riding school first and id talk to her instructor aswell to see if she thinks shes suitable.

then if she ticks the boxes watch her ride both of yours on their own and see how she does then. Im sure you will soon be able to tel whether she is going to be ok or not xx

kick_On

Visit site
yeah, your right
it's i've been trying for ages to get right person and i have people down to look and they has been keen but....not felt happy yet.
It just both horses are what i would class as easy (As i compete them), but for a compete novice, one problably a bit spooky, and the other bl00dy lazy, until motor is running.
For the right person willing for them to have lessons, join Rc and do comps - small stuff
But just don't want to nanny them?????????????
Arrhhh brain getting overload.....................

sorona

Visit site
If this is the first person that you have felt you could trust to ride your horses, perhaps it is the right decision but I think supervision at the begining is essential and yes, speaking to her instructor would be a good idea if she didnt mind! You know your horses better than anyone, perhaps start her off on the laziest of the 2 and see how she goes.

kick_On

Visit site
hiya
we don't have a school
mad.gif
mad.gif
, as based on working farm. Lots of really wet field at mo!!!
It's just really don't want to put numphy on board - who says they can BUT can't
What i've done in pass is seen how they catch horse and groom and tack up. Then pop out for light hack with lead rope just in case.
It's just both ggs are going so well and i really do need help otherwise i'm going to end up knacked and it only oct!!!
can you see why head doing one!!!

not_with_it

Visit site
I would agree with everyone else, let her have a trial and see how she gets on.

The way that I look at it is if nobody gives her the opportunity to learn to ride away from a riding school then she is never going to progress.

Sparklet

Visit site
Hi

Be really careful about your legal position kick_on. Even though no money exchanges hands you may still find yourself on the end of claim if she is injured (badly) because it will be seen as payment in kind.

I am not very aware of the legal stuff but it would be wise to take advice particularly if you have concerns about her experience (i.e. more likely to hit the deck). I doubt your insurance would cover it.

kick_On

Visit site
thanks - yeah of course they will be supervised and insured. It's just i've had about in total 6 people have been down to look to help. And all not up to job or one brilliant but couldn't be regular and thats worst than being a novice

PaddyMonty

Visit site
In my opinion most serious competion peeps underestimate the ability required to handle their horses and most riding school peeps over-estimate their ability.
I would class my horse as anyones ride 95% of the time. The other 5% you had better know what your doing.
Horses appear easy to their owners because they know how to react with them in trickier situations.
The question I would ask is 'What would the horses do if the rider had the wrong reaction?'
Check out their ability before they get anywhere near your horses.

SarahRoads

Visit site
Riding school horses and 'real' horses are two entirely different creatures...I thought I was getting on OK with my riding until I rode a 'real' horse....give them a trail first, for your own peace of mind!

GinaB

Visit site
As others would say I'd want to see her ride first and assess how she handles both the horses.
Although I'm in shock how a couple of people say those at riding schools over estimate their ability or 'not very good with competition horses'

Has it ever occured that not everyone can afford their own horse and their only way to gain experience and to be able to have the enjoyment of riding is to go to a riding school?

kick_On

Visit site
thanks all for help
BUT
yet again another one fizzs out - person has bothered to contact me again, so hay ho,
i know i still got two lovely horse!!!!, no social life
grin.gif
grin.gif

i just must be really scary on phone!!!!!!