Plaiting foals!?

k9h

Visit site
Sorry for dumb question.

How do you plait foals!?

OK I know how to plait grown up horses but foals, never had too!

I would feel mean doing them as tight as I do for a horse & a days hunting or competing.

So would you do the rosette plaits where it is lose on the crest but then the actual down plait is tight?

I think I best be having a practise!
blush.gif
crazy.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Ours was plaited as a foal, then not until a Pony Club dressage comp, some five years later. Now working in a rounded outline, he went absolutely crazy, as the plaits pulled and obviously upset him to the extent a rodeo performance was necessary. Fortunately, he'd settled by the time he had to do his test!

I have to say I wondered if you'd got one that wasn't moving correctly in front!!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
What class is it being entered in? Because if it's hunter broodmare and foal classes it should be unplaited.

lucydelaroche

Visit site
Just wondering where in BEF Futurity rules/guidance it states foals had to be plaited? The only reference I could find to plaiting was this one on factsheet 3

Ideally, horses should be plaited, mainly so that the evaluators can see the shape of the neck and withers. If your horse is intended for endurance, long plaits or a running plait will be fine. In all cases though, a tidy mane will be fine.

Gingernags

Visit site
Hope you don't mind me adding another question, I'm having to "pull" my yearlings tail as one of the fillies has got at it and it was resembling a bog brush at the top and was unplaitable. (I say pull, I use a razor comb as I do for my mare as I hate actually pulling and I get it just as neat...)

Anyhoo, how far down the tail would you "pull"? I've only done a few inches so far to tidy the top.

Ta and apologies again for the mini-hijack...

CrazyMare

Visit site
I plaited mine like my mare, rosette style plaits - five of them. I kept them slightly loose at the top, then the length tight.

She didn't bother at all - so much so, that I managed to sew them in.

DSC_2971.jpg

irishdraught

Visit site
I have a foal entered into the futurity. I will not be plaiting her as I don't think it is fair for her. She will only be 7 weeks old and will have enough to cope with by travelling there in the first place.
I am sure she can be evaluated sufficiently without being plaited. It is not as if her mane is that long to start with.
smirk.gif

k9h

Visit site
Well I did it!

Horrid! The foal was a star & stood whilst being scratched! But her mane or should I say fluff!!

Anyhows! This was the result!
IMG_1692.jpg

k9h

Visit site
Thank you!

My friends mare & foal
She got a 1st premium! Woohoo!! Was the 2nd highest score of the day before they left!