Plaiting up second horses

icemaiden113

Visit site
I am having a debate with a friend of mine and thought I would ask the same question on here and see what peoples opinions are!

Do you plait second horses? If so why or why not. Also if they were hunt staff or masters would you? Opening meet different to others?

Just wondering what others think!

Thanks in advance

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
As far as I'm concerned, from Opening Meet onwards until you start hill hunting in the spring, everything should be plaited. This is especially applicable to Hunt Staff and Masters, they should be leading by example.

joe_carby

Visit site
yep plaited all the way i personally dont sees the difference between 1st and 2nd horses ???? they are both there to be part of the hunting field and therefore should be turned out correctly

k9h

Visit site
As far as I'm concerned, from Opening Meet onwards until you start hill hunting in the spring, everything should be plaited. This is especially applicable to Hunt Staff and Masters, they should be leading by example.

Ditto this!

chico7

Visit site
Yep we always do! there has only beeen one time when they werent done (emergency)
As we are grooms that arent based at kennels we just deliver. You should always plait as it is masters and staff who should be smart and leading example.

spacefaer

Visit site
As a matter of interest, all our hunt staff horses are hogged. One of our joint masters also hogs his horses.

I would always plait second horses, however

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Out of consideration for the staff, for one thing. It is usual practice NOT to plait second horses.

What is there to consider? It's a groom's job to turn out hunters as they should be turned out, it's all part of the job, why do the job if you're not prepared to do your best? Whether it's for first horse or second it should make no difference, plaiting's only a 20 minute job at most and five minutes to unplait. If they can't be bothered to do that they shouldn't be in that job.

Sorry, off soapbox now............

Eagle_day

Visit site
Plaiting is a Victorian affectation at best, but I suppose is now fashionable and must be tolerated. It is, however, standard practice in Leicestershire NEVER to plait second horses. It's nothing to do with being 'bothered' but having more useful things to do.

oakash

Visit site
Depends on the quality of the stud groom and hunt staff and, mostly, the Master's standards. I would agree with Maesfen - the second horses are hunting, therefore should be plaited. First horse might go lame in the first field, for example. But...if you have a good run, then who gives a toss anyway..

natalia

Visit site
Two ways of looking at this, firstly our horses are only meant to be plaited if its a lawn meet (although ovb. most do anyway) so after the meet and on to second horse they can be plaited or unplaited. I'm not personally bothered, our master had second horse out today and was unplaited.

Marion Lampart

New User
Visit site
As a matter of interest, all our hunt staff horses are hogged. One of our joint masters also hogs his horses.

I would always plait second horses, however

hi.. I have been horse riding fo abou 3 months now and im @ canter level but i cant eve put the bridel on one of the ponnys i know , she always struggels , arrrrrrh

icemaiden113

Visit site
Thanks for all your comments! Some very interesting ones!

Eagle Day - I understand what your saying as a groom in the lincs leics county we did not plait 2nd horses!
Neither do the Rockwood so interesting comments there!

JDH -Plaited as requested!!! :)

And Carolineb - he always makes me work hard!!! He was very excited nervous and over the top yesterday (opening meet) Wanted to know if everything was ready - at 9.30am!!!!!

Steeleydan

Visit site
Eagle_Day, dont know where in Leics your from and not sure where you get it from "Its customrey in Leics not to plat 2nd horses.
I used to be stud groom for one of the Quorn masters, and my 2nd horse were ALWAYS plaited, so were the hunt staff, and others I saw were.

Baydale

Visit site
Eagle_Day, dont know where in Leics your from and not sure where you get it from "Its customrey in Leics not to plat 2nd horses.
I used to be stud groom for one of the Quorn masters, and my 2nd horse were ALWAYS plaited, so were the hunt staff, and others I saw were.

I'm glad you said that Steeleydan, as I'm groom for a Belvoir master and always plait the second horse as I understood this to be the correct form.

Gamebird

Visit site
Absolutely! Why on earth would anyone NOT plait second horses?

I take our huntsman and Master's second horses out for them most Tuesdays. We aren't a big hunt and don't have a hunt groom. I have a half day from my full time job which means that I finish at 12.30. I take 2-3 second horses out neat, smart and tidy (hoof oil etc. etc. and I'm always in tweed and shirt and tie) but there is no time for me to plait them if they want them before dark! By the time I've tacked and loaded them up, found where the hunt have got to and ridden/led them to the correct person it's often nearly 2pm.

Having said that we do have two which are hogged ;).

I'm all for appearances, respect and tradition but not every one has staff and time on their hands and sometimes neat, tidy and correct will have to do!

MissySmythe

Visit site
I'm glad you said that Steeleydan, as I'm groom for a Belvoir master and always plait the second horse as I understood this to be the correct form.

Am glad to hear this too, I have been around for rather a while (admittedly hunted less since 2004) and have never seen anything else. With best regards to the poster who quoted me, I see the point, and am very glad you make such efforts, but I am talking about my experience, so I hope you understand.
I have total respect for all those who plait second horses!

MissySmythe

Visit site
I take our huntsman and Master's second horses out for them most Tuesdays. We aren't a big hunt and don't have a hunt groom. I have a half day from my full time job which means that I finish at 12.30. I take 2-3 second horses out neat, smart and tidy (hoof oil etc. etc. and I'm always in tweed and shirt and tie) but there is no time for me to plait them if they want them before dark! By the time I've tacked and loaded them up, found where the hunt have got to and ridden/led them to the correct person it's often nearly 2pm.

Having said that we do have two which are hogged ;).

I'm all for appearances, respect and tradition but not every one has staff and time on their hands and sometimes neat, tidy and correct will have to do!

Applaud your efforts! Have said a bit more on previous post. Happy hunting!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com

Nice to know that some are keeping their standards up. When I used to visit on a Friday (only a car follower, sadly) it was very unusual to see anyone unplaited, first or second horses so I can't see how you think it's customary at all. Only gate shutters 'should' be un plaited as a rule.

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
Plaiting is a Victorian affectation at best, but I suppose is now fashionable and must be tolerated. It is, however, standard practice in Leicestershire NEVER to plait second horses. It's nothing to do with being 'bothered' but having more useful things to do.

Times have certainly changed then as i always plaited up in Leicestershire when i worked there, second horse or not second horse- we are going back to the early 80s, mind you.