plaiting with the hind legs?

indie314

New User
Visit site
I have just been to view a 4yr old TB who has done some racing but does not have the finishing speed so she has had some re-training to sell on. The only fault I could find is that she plaits her hind legs in the trot ( not the walk) is this something I should steer clear from or can it be rectified by schooling? I want to hunt her next season.
Any advice please
smile.gif

indie314

New User
Visit site
she has been turned away for 6weeks outdoors rugged up - I personally think she needs abit more condition on her. She has raced over the last 2 years so I guess she hasnt done any schooling at all.

kkitson

New User
Visit site
I have a home-bred shirexTB that has always plaited his hind legs especially when going downhill in walk and trot.
He is now 13 years old, is a fantastic hunter, jumps everything. The main thing I have found is that the fitter he is the better his action behind, so fitness is the key. I would have thought as long as you didn't want to show the horse, it should be fine.

Chestnutmare

Visit site
I know of a really lovely well schooled, jumper that plaits his back legs in walk....russain TB geld had no problems with him whatso ever...we used to call it his catwalk walk....

cptrayes

Visit site
Why buy possible trouble when there are so many cheap horses around at the moment, is my first thought.

My second is, having owned a lot of TB ex racers and hunted three of them and three IDx's is that I would go for the IDx to hunt every time. The TBs were difficult to keep weight on when hunting fit and I found the IDx's more "solid" horse underneath you to ride in bad conditions, more inclined to look after themselves (and you) before worrying what was going on with the other horses around them.

I would want her to be very cheap indeed before buying her. You can buy a failed racer for 500 guineas at Doncaster and Ascot sales at the moment.

indie314

New User
Visit site
many thanks for your replies - as nice as she is I think I will let this one pass by as I think I will always be wondering about it. Its early days in my search for a new horse so I can wait for the right one.
smile.gif