plaiting

EllieBeast

Visit site
ok guys, i know that alot of people plait up for dressage comps - is it compulsory or just optional? also at ODE's do most tend to plait or leave 'eu naturele'. i am only talking about unaff stuff, and as i havent competed ODE's for such a long time i thought i had better check what the 'done thing' is!
thanks
Sarah xXx

kick_On

Visit site
sorry but i always plait for Dressage and ODE not matter what level, it's just the i was brought up.
Went to show at weekend did my normal horse turnout and people were very rude and unfriendly as they thought i was too............. posh (tumble weed zone!!), not the case, but can't do untidy for competetion and i personnel think it rude to judges etc...
but hey thats me
grin.gif

star

Visit site
i have a native pony who I turn out as a native pony, therefore I do not plait him. Still takes me ages to wash his (white) mane and i spend a lot of time plaiting it over so it looks neat and neatening it up. It probably takes me longer to maintain his mane and turn him out nicely than it does to stick a few plaits in, but I like to see natives turned out in their natural state. He's done up to affiliated Elem and gone to the Nationals so it's certainly never affected his scores and is not compulsory for any horse. Did the same when i did a little ODE. I do think if you've got a horse that is normally plaited for correct turnout then it's nice to do it though - looks much neater and shows you made the effort.

rosedewar

Visit site
I don't think it's compulsory, but I think it's like someone else said - it's 'polite' and shows to the judge that you've made an effort. I generally plait mane but not tail for dressage, which seems common but not exactly the same as for showing; and plaiting's not appropriate for Natives as per showing.

ODEs I've been to people generally seem to plait for the dressage then take them out for XC (something to grab onto in a dodgy moment!).
HTH

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
It is not compulsory even for affiliated dressage. I had one horse with a very poor mane that would disapear if you plaited too often. As it was tidy I never plaited for dressage comps even affiliated but made sure it was tidy. You probably don't make such a good imprssion to the judge which is important on the marks side but my horse always did quite well.

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
Personally I always compete with plaited mane and tail for unaff dressage, and Unaff ODEs (goes without saying for BE stuff). I think it looks so much better and I think it helps with your overall impression. If you feel the part then that can only help?!
grin.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
What to wear

Some riders think they need to spend a fortune on expensive clothes and leather boots to compete in affiliated dressage. This is not the case.

You need to wear:

A suitable hat, BSI standard is recommended. If wearing a crash hat, use a dark blue or black cover
A navy or black jacket with shirt and tie or stock is usually worn. A hacking jacket is also fine
Beige, cream or white breeches or jodhpurs
Leather or rubber long black or brown boots with breeches or jodhpurs or short boots with jodhpurs. You can wear plain gaiters with short boots as long as they match the colour of the boots.
Spurs are allowed at all levels and are compulsory from advanced level upwards
Whips are generally allowed, except in championships and in all FEI pony, junior and young rider tests. The maximum length rule was abolished on 1 December 2005, instead whips may not be used in a way or of a length that disturbs other riders
Gloves
Your horse:

A plain-coloured saddle, leather or synthetic
Plain black or brown bridle, leather or synthetic
A snaffle must be used in preliminary and novice tests. From elementary level, double bridles as well as snaffle bits are allowed. See British Dressage Rules 2006 for permitted bits
Boots, including overreach boots, and bandages may be used for warming up, but must be removed before entering the arena
Martingales and bit guards are not allowed. A breastplate is permitted
It is optional to use a numnah or saddlecloth

This is for affiliated dressage however most shows are run to the same rules....there is no mention of plaiting but as a previous poster has stated when you plait you are showing respect for the judge addituionally it shows of your horse to his best advantage aswell. All the best.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Fab, thankyou very much everyone - especially Toby, that was very insightful. ok, looks like i will be plaiting for witchingham this weekend then! better get practising
grin.gif

Sarah xXx

nrob1982

Visit site
There should be a specific rule that exempts male competitors from plaiting up.
Personally I can barely keep my own hair under control, let alone my horses.
For years I've been telling people I don't plait my boys because I think it's undignified for two strapping great lads to walk around looking like cissies. In reality, I think it looks really smart . . . but last time I tried it I almost stabbed myself to death with the needle.

Neil