Plan of action needed!

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Sorry if this seems a little trivial to some of you but it is a big thing for me :D

Had my Haflinger for 2 years in August. He was rescued and came with a ton of baggage and problems. Spent last year building trust and confidence and at the end of last years show season did a couple of showing classes and did badly!

This year with our new found confidence we have done much better! Pony has changed completely too. He has gone from obese when I got him, to lean but with no muscle last year, to a complete beast this year!

August 2012
Benji_zpsfb8dbc71.jpg

Early 2013 with little muscle
20130329_1440362_zpsd578f29a.jpg

This year
showbenji2_zpsea40a2dc.jpg

Anyway, we were aiming for an Equestrian life qualification at a show early in the season. I wasn't hopeful but we tried our best and qualified in each of our 3 classes! I was over the moon, but after the excitement wore off decided not to go due to cost and the fact it would purely be for experience.

Out showing yesterday and qualified again (3 times!) The judge said I should seriously consider it as it would do us both the world of good. So I've thought long and hard and decided, stuff it, Benji shall go to the ball!

So, where do I go from here? As a rescue, I have had to work very hard with Benji. He still gets easily distracted then he loses his concentration and it all goes to pot. He is a very strong and forward Haflinger and although I am getting closer to being able to contain him, we are still not there yet. I have been having monthly lessons, but will try and get 2 more in before the show which is 4 weeks away!

So what I am asking really, is what should my plan be to prepare? We are both not keen on schooling to be honest, but we both need it! We hack 3 or 4 times a week, and I try to school on these. We do lots of hill work for muscle building, trot on roads for fitness/leg strengthening and we attempt to do this calmly and in an outline when he isnt looking around like a giraffe and losing his focus, we also have a big field we can do faster work in. I lunge or school him once a week too.

Anything else I should be doing? I am happy to swap some hacking for schooling in the run up. Judge yesterday suggested ear plugs to help the distractions. Any thoughts?

This will probably be my only shot at this for a long time due to my wedding next year then maybe babies after that. Any advice much appreciated!

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The judges who have seen you have obviously liked what they have seen. My advice is to just keep on doing what you are doing and enjoy the experience when it comes.

Well done to both of you for making so much progress over the last 2 yrs.

Ridingondreams

Visit site
The transformation is great, he looks so much better (and very cute)! Obviously you've made a great impression on the judges who've seen you, so you're doing something right! However, re: schooling, I would suggest finding some exercises which you think would keep him engaged while at the same time improving his way of going, e.g. some poles, serpentines, etc, and never go round the whole of your manege without doingsomething, so he can't anticipate or get bored! Hope this helps and best of luck x

JFTDWS

Visit site
I have a general rule that if you find schooling boring you're probably not doing it right ;) You may not enjoy it, but it shouldn't be dull - there's endless exercises you can work on (lots of books of 101 exercises etc) and you should never just be trotting round the track aimlessly. One thing I would really try and work on is loosening your curb contact - it looks rather like you're riding off the curb, which isn't really how it's meant to work. Work on getting downward transitions without using your reins at all, and maybe try some lateral work to lighten up the front end. The lighter and more supple you can get your pony, the flashier you'll look in the ring.

I don't show, but I also think you can buy thin elastic for your number rather than thick ribbon, which smartens the overall appearance.