Planning for ship/storage containers

hayinamanger

Visit site
Thinking of buying a container for secure storage, a lot of people seem to have them. Before l consult the planning dept, does anyone on here know if there are restrictions on the siting of them? Thanks.

popsdosh

Visit site
They are class as portable buildings so you should be ok unless you permanently fix them down in any way.

taraj

Visit site
We had one but due to the fact it was sited on "hard standing" (scalping's) we had to remove it from our land as they classed it as a permanent structure! Should be fine if you site it on grass! Mind you we are in the South Downs National Park where all the planning seems to be back to front...next door to where the container was are workshops they seem to get away with everything....can you tell its a sore point!!.

Makemineacob

Visit site
I guessing it depends where you are and whether you have neighbours and if the container is going to be sited in a location where it is clearly visible. I would opt for a green container to try to blend in with the surrounding area.

myloubylou- guessing the OP is looking at shipping containers to provide ample storage (they're generally 20ft to 40ft long) so it's unlikely a locker would be big enough *hug*

Shay

Visit site
I've had shipping containers under 2 different circumstances and 2 different planning authorities without a problem - but I suspect as others have said it may depend on where you site them and how visible it is. I have a container at the yard on compacted ground - not quite hard standing - but it is not visible really from anywhere. And I arranged a container for our church to store youth work stuff in sited on the same industrial estate as our offices. Again no problem. I wonder if it makes a difference if you rent them or buy them? We have some rented containers at the yard (although mine is owned) and clearly they are temporary structures intended to be removed at some point.