Planning permission - hardcore track from field gate to stables

pipsqueek

Visit site
As the above... we are moving to a property which has stables but which are accessible from the field gate (which is on a quiet lane) and want to put down a track to access them/park the horsebox on. Not sure if we need pp, nobody else overlooks the field but would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

HoHum

Visit site
Generally you would be expected to have planning permission, as its "an engineering operation" which is a form of development and development needs planning permission. Some agricultural tracks and hardstanding can benefit from "permitted development" rights and not require full planning consent, but stables and horse related uses do not fall within agriculture in most cases.
If you look on your District Council's website, you may find on line planning lists which you could search for a similar application to give you a steer on what is needed

Pebble101

Visit site
I was talking about this with a friend at the weekend. She had some road planings put down from her field gate to an area of hardstanding (about 10' x 20') so she had somewhere dry to feed the horses their hay (clay soil). That was 11 years ago but she never got planning permission. I believe that council couldn't do anything about it now under the 10 year rule.

It is quite difficult to see now because it has go some grass growing now, but it is still nice and solid.

Mike007

Visit site
I was talking about this with a friend at the weekend. She had some road planings put down from her field gate to an area of hardstanding (about 10' x 20') so she had somewhere dry to feed the horses their hay (clay soil). That was 11 years ago but she never got planning permission. I believe that council couldn't do anything about it now under the 10 year rule.

It is quite difficult to see now because it has go some grass growing now, but it is still nice and solid.

The rule is that for development such as this ,action must be taken within 4 years,as I understand. Use of land is 9 years.

Enfys

Visit site
I can't be any help re planning but I am staggered that such a basic thing as a bit of hardcore would need permits!

I have put up shelters in every paddock, created a new driveway and entrance, put up two new barns and created an arena all without permits, if I had had to ask for permission I would probably still be waiting for a reply.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Speak to your local council first but it really depends on the permenancy of the track - something with foundations would need full pp, hardcore on grass may not.

Suelin

Visit site
If there is already a gate to the road, then my understanding is that you don't need pp to put a "farm road" (this is the technical term for track)down to access your buildings/land. Farmers do it all the time and never ever have to ask for pp. We had limestone chippings and blindings put down last year and there was no problem at all.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
As the above... we are moving to a property which has stables but which are accessible from the field gate (which is on a quiet lane) and want to put down a track to access them/park the horsebox on. Not sure if we need pp, nobody else overlooks the field but would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Have you thought about something like this> http://www.boddingtons-ltd.com/prod...tion/grasscarpet-grass-protection-matting.php http://www.groundprotection.co.uk/parking/grp-007.html

cambrica

Visit site
We are about to get a load of grade 1 MOT aggregate for the driveway into the yard. Our farmer who has to bring the tractor in often says it's the best surface to put down, especially for heavy vehicles.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Agree with others, that I doubt you need PP for this.

However, if you plan to enlarge or relocate your gateway (especially if in doing so, you cut back some hedging or trees), then they can get very pernickety. (Used to be on my local Parish Council, and we saw this quite often).

RunToEarth

Visit site
If there is already a gate to the road, then my understanding is that you don't need pp to put a "farm road" (this is the technical term for track)down to access your buildings/land. Farmers do it all the time and never ever have to ask for pp. We had limestone chippings and blindings put down last year and there was no problem at all.

This a) depends whether the access point has a dropped curb and b) depends if the track is agricultural - certain agricultural development can be undertaken by virtue of a prior notification of agricultural development - to qualify for this you must be installing the track for the purposes of agriculture - which the OP is not.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We are about to get a load of grade 1 MOT aggregate for the driveway into the yard. Our farmer who has to bring the tractor in often says it's the best surface to put down, especially for heavy vehicles.

We had that when we first built our stables, for the drive and the area the stables were built on. Six years on I hate it. It has mud on top, it had puddles all the time and it was expensive. We did another area with rough (free) hardcore and road planings on top. It is by far superior and was much cheaper.

I would be inclined to do it as discreetly as you can and use road planings, which are not so noticeable, and hold your breath. Everyone on here seems to have lovely helpful planning depts., ours use every enquiry as a chance to get more money and tell everyone they must apply! I personally have as little to do with them as possible (have done the trying to be upfront route and it didn't work).

Ceriann

Visit site
we are putting down hardcore in our field (clay and need somewhere dry for them next winter other than stabling as fields were just bogs) - granted we are also putting up shelters, but we are submitting a planninc application. our planning adviser has suggested we play down the scope of the hard standing area (just note that its a yard area in front of shelters) as council can be difficult re drainage etc. I would speak to soemone who knows as it can be costly to get it wrong.

sport horse

Visit site
This has/is being done in two places near here. The council concerned have said that if you dig out the topsoil before putting in hardcore etc this requires planning permission but if you just tip on top of existing surface you do not. Have no idea if this is the same everywhere.

pipsqueek

Visit site
Thank you everyone, a lot of interesting & helpful replies. There is already a gateway and in the first instance we were just going to put hardcore down on the grass so there was a track to the stables but I think it might be worth having a word with the council by the sounds of things, we want to put a school down too & we will definitely need pp for that!