Planning permission question- building stables on agricultural land

foxy1

Visit site
Has anyone built stables on land classed as for agricultural use? I'm looking for guidance stating the rules regarding the change of use and when the planners do or don't allow change of use for equestrian purposes.
It's quite hard to find out what the rules are! ?

Illtellyoulater

Visit site
I applied for change of use from agricultural to equestrian on the same planning application as the stables

it cost an extra £950 to change the use of the land but I was successful (quite a few hoops to jump through re hedges/access/drainage/muck removal for the joint application)

Parrotperson

Visit site
best thing to do is to ring your local planning office e and ask for advice. They're always happy to help. It also gives you an idea fo what you'll need to do. Mine even came out and advised which led to a successful application

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
best thing to do is to ring your local planning office e and ask for advice. They're always happy to help. It also gives you an idea fo what you'll need to do. Mine even came out and advised which led to a successful application

In our area, you have to pay to even be advised as to what does or does not need planning!

Illtellyoulater

Visit site
I also read all the planning applications for similar projects within the same planning authority so I could anticipate their stipulations and preempt them in my application. I did employ a planning agent too.

Hackback

Visit site
I think it varies between local authorities. The company we used to supply and erect our stables offer a planning service so we used them. They had the advantage of experience, knowing what the local authority likes and doesn't like, plus we get the money back (less council charges etc) when we pay for the stables.

We put in for change of use and planning at the same time and after what seemed to me like token time delays by the LA with queries over soakaway and muck removal, planning was passed fairly painlessly.

Now waiting for supply of timber/fittings etc so that stables can actually be erected. We picked a bad time!

Gift Horse

Visit site
There are lots of variables to consider, rarely are two sites the same.

Is the location in the green belt?
Are the stables for private or business use?
Is the location sustainable?
What’s the vehicle access like, are there likely to be highways issues?.....