Planning permission to reduce roof height

lizziebell

Visit site
I'll contact the planning office in the week, but in the meantime do any of you knowledgable peeps know if permission is required to reduce the roof height of an outbuilding? I've looked all over the web and the councils own website but fail to find anything relating to reducing roof height (only advice on permission to alter a roof to increase its height).

We have a pole barn with internal stable sections - it is ridiculously high at 20ft and a real eyesore. I'd like to get it reduced to a more sensible 10ft, but not sure if I'd have to apply for planning?

lizziebell

Visit site
Phone your planning office & ask, they'll be able to give you the answer & they'll advise you for free.

Free?
No, our council doesn't do anything for free. You have to fill in a "do I need planning" form, pay £30 and wait 10 days. They don't make anything that simple (or free!)

lizziebell

Visit site
Phone your planning office & ask, they'll be able to give you the answer & they'll advise you for free.

Grrrr - a little annoyed at having to pay £30 and wait 15 days (yes, 15 - not the 10 days I quoted earlier).

Now I appreciated these things take time and they must get hundreds of requests, of which the information on permitted developments is available all over council websites and the governments planning portal - so understand that you are paying them to do the research instead of yourself - HOWEVER, I have spend hours looking into the "lowering of roof height", and the information is just not available. They only refer to roof works where the roof is being increased, or roof lights being put in - nowhere mentions lowering a roof.

Just cross that I have to pay for a query because the planning information offered by council and government website is inadequate!

Grrrrrrrr.....

Bobbly

Visit site
I'd just do it, you are not increasing the height or causing an eyesore, so long as you are not going to dramatically change the design or colouration I'd pretend I was simply repairing and replacing it. If you look again on your council website it should tell you about permitted heights, in my area it's 4m max for a pitched roof and 3.6m max for a sloped one. Given that yours is already much more than that they'd be hard pushed to argue over a lower one I'd have thought though I'd question why you need to bother at all, nice and airy at that height and you could always build an 'upstairs' storage area or even just put internal false roofs in over the stables?