Plant identification

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Does anyone know what plant this is? Some our paddocks at our yard seem to have them taking over since they’ve been rested.
pvOsReH.jpg

AqSosyp.jpg

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve looked at some photos of chickweed on google and it doesn’t really look like that I don’t think. But maybe it’s the stage of growth it’s in. I’m not particularly worried about it being toxic more about it not being palatable and taking over from grasses thereby reducing our grazing which has taken a beating over the last few years with very little summer growth and wet winters poaching the ground.

ETA it does look like the sticky mouse ear variety though now I’ve specifically googled that.

Thanks all :)

Lois Lame

Visit site
This is not the good chickweed that many creatures like to eat. This is the pesky mouse-eared chickweed. A jolly pest it is, especially in potted plants in nurseries (I used to work in a nursery).

I imagine the horses will ignore it if there's decent food out there.

And of course if you watch horses graze, they maneuvre their lips around this plant but not around that plant. These leaves but not those leaves.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Mouse ear chickweed, identified for me by my neighbour as we also have it and I'd never seen it before, wish I still hadn't seen it!