please answer this question

Josh_craney

Visit site
am i too big for a 14.1 new forest mare who is very fit and muscley
i am 7st and 5ft 5

would you say thats to big for a pony i might even be 5ft 4 im just saying 5 ft5 to give a bit of allowance

Tia

Visit site
No you aren't, in my opinion.

I occasionally ride my daughter's 12.2hh connemara and I am 5'8" and weigh just over 8 stone.

I also own a number of quarter horses who are around 14.2hh which I ride all the time.

merlinsquest

Visit site
Never in a million years!!

Think of the burly newforest men who round up the ponies.... they ride them!!

I would say you are a mere feather to him/her..... you just get on and enjoy! x

Kat1e

Visit site
7 stone? She'll barely notice you! Have fun
smile.gif

jemima

Visit site

That's a 13.3 (just) Welshie on the XC phase of a ODE, he's only doing 2'9" but you're looking at a 14 stone, 5'6" rider. He had a whale of a time and made lots of friends with his attitude in the show jumping - absolutely terrified but willing to have a go if mum showed him the jumps and let him trot in, we got 60 points
shocked.gif
but he does love his cross country, as you can see and he was clear on that.

You are definitely not too big for a 14.1 NF, they were bred as working ponies. Just get on and enjoy it!

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
Certainly not, i'm 8stone (well maybe a bit more after xmas) and 5ft4 and still ride my 14hh veteran arab x welsh ...and my mum does and she is a little taller! Everyone still says how well we look!

Tempi

Visit site
definately not!! i broke and trained a newfie last summer and he was 14'2 and im 6ft and weigh nearly 9.5 stone. However i was only breaking him for someone, not for myself! As i was definately too tall on him, but he coped with my weight fine.

Farm Kat

Visit site
Definately not! My Dad learnt to ride on my 14.2 NF, and my brother who was about 12st at the time and just under 6ft, and by no means a rider used to ride my 13.2. They can easily carry an adult, and I've seen plenty out of the 'stone per hand' category round here, admitedly all of them can ride really well, but not one pony struggling. Keep having fun.
smile.gif

izzyxxx

Visit site
don't be silly i went to buy a 13.2 new forest and i am 5ft4 and weigh bout 7 1/2 stone i didn't buy him in the end but the girl who did was taller and wider than me and they are out doing x country and all that jazz so don't worry about it have fun!!!

Enfys

Visit site
No, not at all, she will hardly know that you are on her back!
I used to ride our 13.1 chunky New Forest frequently and now ride my daughters' 13.2 welsh/arab more than she does. I'm 5'2" and about 8.5 stone.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Not at all. Me and my friend used to ride her chunky 13.2hh New Forest double bareback. Her at the front, me behind. Used to hack for hours, gallop and everything. Our combined weight must have been 14 stone. Pony didn't even notice.