Please - Brutually honest opinions wanted

Bri

Well-Known Member
Joined
26 August 2005
Messages
2,261
Location
Surrey
Visit site
Sid was going to be put down next week- I'd fully accepted it and thought it was what was best for him. Today we found out we will be getting no money from Insurance, our vet only suggested him being PTS as it made economical sense and YO offered to let us keep him turned out for free. Don't know what to do. He's no longer aggressive, happily plays out in the field with his mates, eats well, is only marginally lame - but does seem quiet and subdued at times.

I want to do what's best for him, and I definitely don't want to keep him alive for my sake. He doesn't seem to be in a massive amount of pain should we take up the offer of keeping him for free or just put him down now?

Any opinions welcomed - in fact begged for. So confused just want to do what's right for Sid. Thanks
 

Weezy

Well-Known Member
Joined
6 November 2003
Messages
39,874
Location
The Sodden Cotswolds
Visit site
OK honey - thing is we are coming into winter - can he cope being out in the snow, rain, cold etc?

Personally and I know this is not going to sit well with a lot of people, you have prepared yourself for him being PTS so I would go ahead and do it - there is nothing to say that he wont revert back to his aggressive behaviour (although there is nothing to say he wil!)

I would go with your plan, if it was me xxxxxxxxxxx
 

TGM

Well-Known Member
Joined
3 April 2003
Messages
16,474
Location
South East
Visit site
Difficult one - but if he really does not seem in much pain and YO is happy to offer free grass livery for him, then why not abandon the PTS plan for now and see how you go. Obviously, you would need to reassess the situation if his condition deteriorates, though.
 

monica123

Well-Known Member
Joined
2 January 2006
Messages
7,385
Location
gloucestershire
Visit site
only if he is not in pain, then keep him for free!!!! but if he is in pain and is suffering...then put him down...hope this helps.....fingers Xd he isnt in pain so he can stay wirth us!
laugh.gif
 

jackpalfreyman

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 October 2005
Messages
294
Location
northants
Visit site
Lots of friends horses, with loss of use lived happily out in the field after they considred them being PTS, both i tihnk lamed by back problems mostly, if he is happy then i cant see a problem, what is wrong with him??
 

Bossanova

Well-Known Member
Joined
30 November 2004
Messages
10,284
Visit site
Oh god I feel for you, not an easy decision at all.
The main question is how long could you keep him for? How long does the free grazing offer last for? Remember you'll still have to pay for foot trims, worming, field maintenance, vaccinations etc
 

Happy Horse

Well-Known Member
Joined
4 July 2001
Messages
5,784
Location
Sussex
community.webshots.com
Only keep him going if you are prepared to put the time and effort into looking after him. In my opinion it is unfair to turn a horse out indefinitely without taking the time to get them in daily, do their feet, interact with them etc. If you are happy to commit to this as well as getting a new horse then give it a go. If not then it is kinder to PTS now in my opinion.
 

Super_Kat

Well-Known Member
Joined
22 November 2005
Messages
11,892
www.myspace.com
What Weezy said, I couldn't put it into words without sounding harsh so I was waiting for somebody else to write it
crazy.gif
If is was my older mare I think I'd feel differently about it but for any other horse I would PTS.

kat
xx
 

slivertonics

Well-Known Member
Joined
1 July 2005
Messages
388
Location
sunny south wales
Visit site
I would go with your gut feeling whatever that is telling you (if that makes sense) If you feel he is happy and content keep him a few months longer the moment you feel he is going down hill then make your decision?
 

seaofdreams

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 August 2005
Messages
1,084
Location
Berkshire
Visit site
i really feel for you, this is a big decision and as i don't know him i can't really say, but what i will say is i have an injured mare and i was told to have her pts but i gave her a few months and like Sid she seemed happy and was almost sound so we decided to let her enjoy the summer and see what the future brings
well two years down the line she is still very happy, sound, in fact my mum came home tonight and said that Lottie had jumped out of her field !! the fence being 3foot plus!! and she is in foal, i know that i have to take every day as it comes but im glad i didn't rush into anything
as i said before every horse is different and i don't know Sid but this is my experience,
All the best and my thoughts are with you,
you will make the best descion,
Helen x
 

Bri

Well-Known Member
Joined
26 August 2005
Messages
2,261
Location
Surrey
Visit site
Thanks guys - such mixed opinions.

Weezy totally see where you're coming from and to be honest was what I was leaning towards. Having gone through all the pain and heartache and coming to terms with it, there's part of me that just wants to move forward with my life. Before I had no doubt it was the best thing for him - I just don't want to look back and regret having it done or feel guilty about it, if there's a chance he could still have a happy life.

He lived out all last winter and coped with it fine. New girly would be out with him- and there would be a stable if he needed to come in. Again I wonder whether I should wait until it gets to that point and see how he is. Like PF said - make the decision when he's unhappy?

Jacko - no idea. Think it's likely he was involved in a road accident when he was younger (he was a trotter) He has severe muscle damage in his hind leg, is lame on the other - and objects strongly to being ridden indicating back/sacroilliac problem. He has been up to Newmarket where he was bone scanned - nothing found. He's a nervous wreck and needle shy so vet pretty much refused to carry on as it was seriously damaging his mental health..
 

Bri

Well-Known Member
Joined
26 August 2005
Messages
2,261
Location
Surrey
Visit site
Good point Boss - although Mum is moving to Isle of Wight next year with a place with land. So having to pay to keep him isn't really a problem. He would be handled daily as mum loves spending time just pottering around with him.

Again thank you everyone for your opinions. Kat - it doesn't sound harsh at all. I think it's what I want to do. I just don't want to feel 'harsh' myself if that makes sense? Like I'm not giving him a chance.
 

Bri

Well-Known Member
Joined
26 August 2005
Messages
2,261
Location
Surrey
Visit site
He hasn't been diagnosed. So can't claim it's for humane reasons.
Vet has tried arguing with them that it's dangerous to try and get a diagnosis, but they don't cover behavioural problems which is what they're classing it as.
 

Super_Kat

Well-Known Member
Joined
22 November 2005
Messages
11,892
www.myspace.com
Not that really is sh1t! They'll try anything to get out of paying out the claim
mad.gif

But sreiously hun, your preared for and have accepted that fact that the worst possible prognosis is now a reality and if you keep him going you will have to break your heart all over again at a later date
frown.gif


Kat
xx
 

S_N

Well-Known Member
Joined
9 June 2005
Messages
14,109
Location
Toliman
Visit site
In a way I was in this position a few months ago with Topper.......... What I feared more than anything, was that by delaying and delaying and delaying, I ran the risk of finally finding my lovely big fella all wet, cold, stiff, miserable and in pain on horrid winters day and knowing that then was the time. I knew I wasn't going to ride him again, I knew I was going to get nothing from the insurance people whatever I decided. So I really had 2 choices 1) field ornament until he can no longer cope or 2) ASAP on a sunny morning........

I so totally feel for you hun, it is one of the most difficult decisions we can make for our animals, but we owe it to them to make the right one..........
 

mrdarcy

Well-Known Member
Joined
5 June 2006
Messages
1,913
Location
La la land
www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I agree with Weezy.

We've just gone through the same thing with my friend's horse. He was 26 and though not in severe pain and some days was even like his old self - hurtling round the field - my friend had made the decision that keeping him through another winter wouldn't be the right thing to do. Although he'd be stabled the cold and wet would still affect him. He hadn't put on much weight this summer - unlike every previous summer - and always lost weight in the winter. On wet days he would get so stiff walking to and from the field was a struggle.

We were both with him through the whole thing. I was dreading it to be honest. I've never seen a horse PTS before. But our vet was fantastic and we all talked to Jack the whole time. It was also a beautiful day... blue skies... warm but not too hot. The perfect late summer day. Normally terrified of needles and vets he stood calmly for the sedation. To us, and maybe it was our own guilt trying to comfort us, he really seemed like he was ready to go. Even so through the whole thing we were both thinking are we doing the right thing? But though the part where he went down was not the most pleasant thing in the world it was over in a couple of seconds and once on the ground it was totally peaceful.

We all cried, even our vet had to struggle to keep back the tears. And then we spent a while with Jack - knowing he was off galloping free, without any pain.

I'm glad we did it... no regrets. Jack's in a happy place now and as the winter sets in and the wind turns to ice we know we did the right thing.
 

Weezy

Well-Known Member
Joined
6 November 2003
Messages
39,874
Location
The Sodden Cotswolds
Visit site
OK Bri you have to think what IF he starts degenerating again and that would make you feel bad for having to watch it!

Seriously Bri, be strong and carry through your plan - there is NOTHING wrong in that way of thinking and you DO need to move on and continue your life - all Sid will give you now is worry that something else might go wrong, bills (obv) and a guilt complex - get on with what you planned and do it with a clear conscience xxxx
 

Bri

Well-Known Member
Joined
26 August 2005
Messages
2,261
Location
Surrey
Visit site
Exactly how I feel SN - I want in fact need to do whats best for him.
Both Mum and I have said we don't want to let him get to the point of being miserable and in a lot of pain - we'd rather he went while he was still coping and happy. It's just the uncertainty of knowing how long he's got before he gets to that point.
YO has even asked us to give Sid to him - he thinks it's worth giving him a chance. I'm just scared that I won't be able to see it when he's in a lot of pain. It doesn't seem like he is now - but how can I really know?!
 

helenandshadow

Well-Known Member
Joined
17 February 2006
Messages
4,873
Location
East Sussex
Visit site
I would say keep him, as long as he isn't in pain. If you decide to keep him you can always change your mind if he deteriorates, if you get him PTS there's no going back and you might regret it
frown.gif
xx
 

Bri

Well-Known Member
Joined
26 August 2005
Messages
2,261
Location
Surrey
Visit site
Thank you.

AceLight both my heart and head are saying PTS - I just didn't want to be doing it for the wrong reasons.
 

S_N

Well-Known Member
Joined
9 June 2005
Messages
14,109
Location
Toliman
Visit site
This won't be of any consolation to you, but I still find myself thinking about the what if's with regards to my decision over Tops. I miss him terrribly and he looked so well when he went, but I know that by now, with the colder nights, things would be starting to get difficult for him.

Please don't give him to your YO (not that I think you will, but that offer would be very tempting for anyone). If you do that, then you will loose the right to make any decisions for his welfare etc.......

You sound like you are prepared for this, IMHO, you should continue on this path.
 

riotgirl

Well-Known Member
Joined
21 February 2006
Messages
3,633
Location
Cheshire
Visit site
I hope you don't mind me saying this, but in your head it sounds like you've made the decision to have him PTS. Your heart on the other hand, is telling you to wait and see as she seems much better than he was. You need to reconcile it in your own mind that you are not letting him down or failing him by having him PTS now.
As some of the others have said - he'll will have to go eventually, so why not now when he isn't suffering? It is one of those weird things where what's best for you (not having him PTS until absolutely necessary) may not be best for him, and what is best for him (letting him go now) isn't necessarily the best thing for you. Good luck in whatever you decide. x
 

clipclop

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 September 2003
Messages
4,221
Visit site
Having a similar problem myself. Old mare struggling with weight.

If you feel your horse is still happy. You know best.
If you think you are prolonging the pain. Then you know what you must do.

I am going to PM you.

C x
laugh.gif
 

eohippus

Well-Known Member
Joined
13 November 2004
Messages
292
Location
Berkshire
equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I think that you are just prolonging the enevitable and should pts now rather than chance a cold and unhappy winter, why put him and yourself through this, if it were summer then I would let him have the summer and then do it, but you are coming into winter, have other horses to consider and do not know if he will cope completely out in the winter.
You have given him the best chance so far and should be proud of yourself, but it comes a time to call it a day and let him go.
A hard decision for you but I am sure you will come to the right one for both of you.
kindest regards
Dawn
 
Top