Please help, 2 oldies to be PTS

Partridg3

Visit site
Please help, I don't know where else to ask.
I have a beloved 24 year old who is thin. V thin. Has melanomas. Doesn't seem in pain and bloods clear and no cushings but I can't get any weight on him. Vet feels there are internal issues and his heart beat is erratic. I've tried for 6 months now and he's too thin for winter. He seems fed up now the weather is turning.
I also have a 36 year old. He's a good weight but his eyesight is failing. They've been best friends for 15 years.
I also have a younger mare as companion who has bad knees.
I haven't ridden for ten years.. They cost me a lot of money and it's hard with working full time and with children.
I feel at the end of my tether. I could put mare on full livery but only her.
I'm certain I'm having the grey PTS but swinging between it being too soon for the oldie and the relief of having a break from this huge commitment (sorry).
I really think gun at the same time would be the only acceptable option.
Please does anyone have any experience of doing this "early" and having 2 PTS together?
Did you feel guilty after? Relieved?

jrp204

Visit site
Do them together and you are doing the right thing, you are taking the ultimate responsibility and should never feel guilty about it. Good luck.

PorkChop

Visit site
It is completely normal to have doubts, but fwiw I would pts your two oldies before the winter.

Better a day too early than a day too late.

I have of course cried buckets and buckets when I have had horses pts, but it is the responsibility we take when we own animals.

Yours have had many wonderful years together, they will go together and not know a thing about it. If you decide to go ahead and get the hunt I would ask that two hunt staff come out so that they can go together.

Sending you a huge hug x

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
If you are a member of the BHS they may be able to help you with a friend to support you, sometimes that is what is needed, someone who has horses, or is very understanding.
Please don't worry, you will find that people understand how difficult it is.
The guy who was booked for mine was really good with me ........ in the end it was not needed, but I still fill up when I think about it and I can't talk about it.
There is no question of guilt, you are doing what has to be done.

Last edited:

Speedyfluff

Visit site
36 is an amazing age for a horse to reach. The grey is now suffering. The oldie will be stressed losing his friend and so I honestly think the kindest thing is to have them both PTS together. What a lovely, caring owner you are. You have nothing to feel guilty about.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Our yard owner put both of her ponies to sleep together. Plus I don't think you are doing it early, well done for keeping them going for so long. Plus putting yours and your family needs first is not selfish.

tashcat

Visit site
Don't feel guilty about PTS if it is the right thing to do. By the sounds of it your 24 year old is ready for pain free and fat filled horsey heaven, whilst the oldie will struggle without his best friend. Therefore if you're sure its time for the grey (only you can make this decision, despite what we think), then I think the kindest thing would be to let the oldie go too, so they go together.

There will be an element of relief and guilt - theres always a 'what if?' - but at the same time you'll have done the right thing for them: relief will come not from your life being a bit easier and cheaper, but relief that they are out of suffering too.

Good luck, I feel for you.

Partridg3

Visit site
Thank you so much. I'm devastated at the thought. The grey is my best friend. He's been there for me forever but he's not the same and I always knew I'd know. He's so beautiful and trusting and he understands me and me him.
Yes, I'm a member of the BHS, I think I'll call them in the morning. That's a good thought thank you.
The hunt here don't do it, where do I find someone who can do it? I can't cope with both with injections, I can't do it.

DD

Visit site
Do them together and you are doing the right thing, you are taking the ultimate responsibility and should never feel guilty about it. Good luck.

^^
this. I had 2 of mine PTS together . One wasnt that old but had some niggling issues which were getting worse. They were inseparable. It was the kindest thing to do.

OWLIE185

Visit site
You have done really well to have kept them going for so long and you would be doing the kindest thing to put them down together before the Winter sets in.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Thank you so much. I'm devastated at the thought. The grey is my best friend. He's been there for me forever but he's not the same and I always knew I'd know. He's so beautiful and trusting and he understands me and me him.
Yes, I'm a member of the BHS, I think I'll call them in the morning. That's a good thought thank you.
The hunt here don't do it, where do I find someone who can do it? I can't cope with both with injections, I can't do it.

Phone up the vet practice, don't worry about blubbing, they will tell you if there is a good knackerman, this would be my preferrred end, it means one can be walked round two corners, and the second one done out of sight, its quick.
I would insist they are the first job of the day and the guy must have clean overalls, they tend to pick up a lot of deadstock as the main part of their work, and they are just doing a job.
If you are really in a bad way you can get pills from the doctor, but you can't drive [well not safely]
Once the appointment is made you will be able to calm down a bit.

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It sounds like they have have wonderful care from you. To be brutally honest do you not think it is the end of the road for all three? What's the long term prognosis for the younger one. If she can never be ridden you could have another 26 years paying out for her, when you are needing to concentrate on other things.

Whatever you decide, the horse will be none the wiser, it's you who will suffer, not them. Be kind to yourself.

Amicus

Visit site

I'm just contemplating this only for one but only middle age but neurological and ran out of treatments I spoke to the fallen stock group http://www.nfsco.co.uk/ and there sending me the list of people who will do it with details. We don't have a strong relationship with local vet (as his diagnosis and treatment referral) so getting the list so can decide.

paddi22

Visit site
I would let all three go together. Would be the kindest thing. A friend's horse recently had a companion drop dead in the field and it was a horrible experience and her mare won't eat for grieving. Much better for them to all go together while still in good form.You have done right by them for so many years and this is the best end you can give them. I would also send the younger mare to if there was any chance her knee condition will get worse.

Greylegs

Visit site
I would send all three over the bridge together tbh. You've done brilliantly by them up to now but you're at the end now. Speak to the BHS and see if there's someone local who can come and support you. Sending huge hugs for being so brave. <<<hugs>>>

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Do them together and you are doing the right thing, you are taking the ultimate responsibility and should never feel guilty about it. Good luck.[/
I agree completely. I have had 2 PTS together just before winter. You know when the time is right and it is the best and kindest thing you can do for your horses.

Partridg3

Visit site
Hello, mare is only 13 and can hack out. She's better barefoot now and isn't lame. I think that as long as I can keep her then I'd like to try. I wouldn't pass her on.
Thank you all for your support. I'm going to start making enquirers tomorrow, I don't want to end up caught short or not be in a position where everything isn't planned.

L&M

Visit site
I had my retired lad pts last summer - making the decision was the hardest part. However, once it was done tbh it was a relief.

There are far worst fates for horses than pts. My chap wasn't as aged, but had behavioural problems under saddle that the vets couldn't get to the bottom off - some days he was an angel but others he would have you off on the road. I did consider trying to find him a companion home, but heard one too many horror stories to risk it.

The biggest, and hardest responsibility of horse ownership, is deciding when the time is right......

Big hugs x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think your doing the right thing having them pts together but it doesn't make it any easier I really feel for you, my friend had her retired horse pts on Friday along with his field companion as they were very attached and the other horse had melanomas and it was time for him unfortunately, a very sad day but they went peacefully.

DuckToller

Visit site
I had two old friends pts on the same day at home. I had rung the hunt but that involved taking both to them, as our local hunt doesn't come out and do it. Hunt advised not to do the two on the same day as they only had one area to do it in (enough information on that score) so I rang the local knackerman.

The practicalities are that you need somewhere ideally round a corner or out of sight, so the 2nd horse doesn't get stressed. The knackerman was extremely kind and considerate (company called Holts nr Bishops Stortford if you are in this area). I put on the radio very loudly, walked with horse and man to a quiet corner, then I walked away. Stuck my fingers in my ears and sang loudly. He then did the deed, and loaded the first horse into the truck. We then repeated the exercise, only I didn't want to walk right over to the same spot, so he took the second horse from me about half way.

It was quick and as kind as it could be - neither knew or suffered, both went with a full tummy and a mouthful of carrots. I sobbed a lot (kind husband was at home so did the big cuddle bit) and then it was over and the relief was overwhelming. When you know something has to be done then it is best to get on with it, once you have made the decision.

Hope this helps and isn't too detailed - best to be prepared. Far easier to have one awful morning and one lot of sobbing than two, and then you don't have one horse grieving for the other.