Please help and respond everyone!

pottamus

Visit site
Right...need everyone's experience and advice here! I need to know if anyone else has the same problem with their riding hat/scalp as me!!! I have just about had as much as I can take over the years of suffering from a flaky and incredably itchy scalp...
I am wondering if it is my riding hat when I get hot and sweaty and need to know if anyone else suffers like this too?
Unfortunately I sweat easily and it is not through lack of fitness but need to find a solution as it does not seem to be diet related.
Everyone PLEASE HELP by letting me know if they have this problem too or managed to find a solution to it....
Thanks.

SSM

Visit site
Thin cotton scarf under your hat to soak the sweat and TGel or Head and Shoulders for itchy scalps.

PS if you have the cure for a stinky hat let me know - mine is dire!!!!!!!!

pottamus

Visit site
Sorry...should have said...this is a long term problem and have tried every product available on the market (including prescribed ones) and still have the problem!!!! Hence, my wondering if it was diet related.
Just need to know if anyone else suffers...

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
NOOOO - DONT use dandruff shampoo!!
I get the same - but worse!! The doctore said it was like Sebacious Dermatitis or something.

Please try NOT to scratch your scalp, as if you break the skin it can get worse. I have had it for 12 years now and it shows no signs of going, and gets worse in summer and when I am ill/stressed. It does look like dandruff, but the high levels of Selenium in anti dandruff shampoo it gets worse.
I am going to try those liners for hats to, as i think the constant build up of sweat and dead skin etc cannot be good. I know it sounds ikky, but try thrush cream--- i have found that does work, and if not please go see your doctor as I once got this solution to use, and it really helped.
As for shampoo - i found that loreal Kerastace (sp? ) helped, but was pricy!!

Let me know how you get on.

pottamus

Visit site
Thanks Beau2005...yes I try very hard not to scratch my scalp...as best I can. I think it has got worse this year because I have got into endurance riding every week! So I have my hat on for like 2/3 hours at a time and work in a steady trot for this time...so get very hot...my hair is completely wet afterwards...not nice, but just stating it how it is!
Where do you get the hat liners then...what are they like?
Perhaps I will try the Loreal stuff you mention...not sure how I would use the thrush cream without getting it all over...how do you get it to rub in???

_daisy_

Visit site
i Used to have the same problem.
I bought a Charles Owen Ad Ventura hat which has removable lining. its great as when it gets wet with sweat you can take the lining out and wash it.
Also i know you have said youve tried all the products but have you tried Tea Tree shampoo with mint?

Accy

Visit site
The only advice i can offer is to use a hair dryer as little as possible, and try Natural Source i think it is called Mint shampoo as they really helped me...

miller

Visit site
I get this too but am naughty and only wear a hat when hacking/jumping - think it is down to sweating though.

I used to get some shampoo from my hairdresser that was v good - was a well known name that I can't remember (helpful I am) and was a dandruff shampoo but endorsed by hairdressers as not as harsh as the H+S's in the shops - maybe worth asking your hair dresser.

hussar

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think it has got worse this year because I have got into endurance riding every week! So I have my hat on for like 2/3 hours at a time and work in a steady trot for this time...so get very hot...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you've got a Troxel or equivalent. Mine is a Casco and it's wonderful - hardly ever get sweaty in it (mind you, the downside is the ventilation holes let in the rain ...).

katiejaye

Visit site
I get Eczema on my scalp and have never really considered that it may be connected to my riding hat. I would go and see a dermatologist or a tricologist and they can recommend a good treatment. I was prescribed a good ointment and use Coltar to wash my hair and mine is much better.

hellyt1

Visit site
it's not just me!! never occured to me that this could be hat related, i have a dreadfully itchy flakey scalp and have tried just about everything but no success. where can i get a hat liner someone please???

pottamus

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies guys! Hussar...no I have a jokey skull and realise that I am going to have to change my hat and buy one with vents in it. Unfortunately as mentioned...it has got worse because of the hours spent doing endurance this year...but I did not realise I would get addicted to it when I started!!!! So will have a look at hats for Christmas and have been looking at the Troxel one...thanks

piaffe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I bought a Charles Owen Ad Ventura hat which has removable lining. its great as when it gets wet with sweat you can take the lining out and wash it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one of these too. Its great! I get a very sweaty head when i ride and its so nice to be able to take out the lining and chuck it in the wash!

The only thing i dont like is that, because it is so ventilated, it gets very wet very quickly if it rains.

brightmount

Visit site
If you hang your riding hat upside down outside your stable or under your saddle rack you may find it picks up fungal spores, and even ringworm. I know this because it happened to my daughter a couple of years ago. You might consider a hat bag, or a plastic bag or keeping the hat at home.

_daisy_

Visit site
theyre brill arent they Piaffe - wouldnt go back to a normal hat for everyday wear. Just a shame they dont do a show hat version rather than just the skull version

cant thin that mines ever got that wet whilst its been raining ( maybe os i don tride that much when its peeing it down)

4whitesocks

Visit site
For a 'hatliner' I just use a cotton bandana....have about 20 of them, keep in your pocket and change as necessary - wash in a machine with very mild detergent (so that doesn't irritate your scalp too..)