Please help - at end of tether riding Chex

Chex

Visit site
Now I love my little superstar pony, but i'm seriously getting fed up of his behaviour when being ridden
mad.gif
. He was off work for 5 months when I broke my leg, so we've spent the last 3 months building up fitness. But now our rides are just constant battles
frown.gif
He's fine at walk, but try trotting and he's off, either at a fast trot, canter or flat out gallop. When I try and pull him up he yanks his head down really hard, I can't stop him doing it - he's just too strong.

We end up galloping across the field and I can only stop if I let him run to the gate, or if I literally run him into another horse (he stops before he hits it obviously!).

I've been riding in a dutch gag (with and without curb), 2 reins - snaffle and bottom ring. Last night I resorted to just using the bottom ring (which I hate) and I still couldn't stop
frown.gif
I tried circling but he just got fater. He doesn't lean, just doesn't stop and yanks is head down, sort of while twisting it.

He's not in pain, not on high energy food, getting plenty turnout and is well schooled. He's also 25 and should know better! I'm seriously getting worried he's going to drop down dead one of these times - he gets so worked up! He doesn't open his mouth really, so noseband doesn't help. He's the same in his snaffle and his bitless bridle.

I know this is long (sorry
blush.gif
), but please - any suggestions, bit changes etc are very much appreciated. I think the problem has gotten worse because I don't have the strength in my bad leg to grip and pull him up, whilst avoiding being pulled over his head
frown.gif
I've had this bloomin pony 9 years and never felt so deflated and frustrated
frown.gif

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
You say he's not on high energy food but what are you feeding him - ie is there a possibility of sticking him on hay, hay and more hay.

To put a slightly positive slant - it's nice that he's feeling so well! (Little monster)

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
I would be inclined to go the opposite way and try a softer bit , sometimes less is more .

BUT......

If he is just really strong then perhaps a pelham of some sort is needed .
Just out of curiosty when was his teeth last checked ?

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried him something like a Kimblewick or a Pelham??

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried a pelham but he just kept his head lower and was just as strong, that was a strightbar though.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried a pelham but he just kept his head lower and was just as strong, that was a strightbar though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Little Bugger
tongue.gif
Kimblewick????

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
First question - has he ever behaved like this before during the last 9 years

[/ QUOTE ]

He's always been a bit like this (I know I've only got myself to blame
frown.gif
), very strong, fast etc. I think he's learned if he yanks his head down he gets his head for a second or two, which is enough for him to speed up to full pelt. He knows I can't stop him from full gallop (he doesn't even pull his head down then, there's just nothing on the end of the reins). But yes, this is quite normal behaviour for him, its just at a worse scale.

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You say he's not on high energy food but what are you feeding him - ie is there a possibility of sticking him on hay, hay and more hay.

To put a slightly positive slant - it's nice that he's feeling so well! (Little monster)

[/ QUOTE ]

He's on a handful of hi-fi and a handful of hi-fi cubes. He eats hardly any hay over night and just whatever grass is inthe field during the day (which id coming though a touch now)

Chex

Visit site
I wanted the softer option too, thats why I tried the bitless bridle and the myler comfort snaffle
frown.gif
but he just takes the mick
frown.gif
His teeth were done a few momths ago.

I ride in fields mainly, but even on verges on country tracks he'll be off like a shot given half a chance.

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Little Bugger
tongue.gif
Kimblewick????

[/ QUOTE ]

He is
frown.gif

Not tried one, but I did think trying one. I guess its worth a shot!

the watcher

Visit site
Have you tried a calmer before? There are several on the market and although it will not be the only answer it might encourage him to listen to you a bit more.

I used to have a pony many years ago that behaved the same way, every piece of grass was like a racetrack to her..it took me years to completely detune her and she still had occasions when she would just flip out..it was very regular and disciplined schooling and being selective about where we rode that sorted her out, we did something every day without fail (lunging, hacking or schooling for variety).

When I bought her she came with a pelham, grackle, martingale..all the rigging..and eventually she would even showjump in a snaffle (although hunting required more brakes!)

1CTrenowath

Visit site
Is this a case of a worsening trait of an always enthusiastic chap? Or totally out of character? If the latter, then the reasons behind it need checking.... perhaps a change in shape after time off - sore back etc?
What mouthpiece do you have on your 3 ring? My horse used to do very similar (17.1 ID!!!) out hacking he would just go, it wasn't so much pulling as a feeling that he had just set his mouth and gone - no communication at all!!
shocked.gif
And I hate to say that in order to stop the bearing down on the bit and tanking I resorted to a 3 ring with Waterford mouthpiece - they just don't have anything to get hold of in the same way and it stopped the behaviour straight away (same as you I always used 2 reins - top one to ride from, and bottom one as the emergency braking system!!
smirk.gif
). I know these can be severe, but it did the trick and stopped this becoming a learned behaviour
crazy.gif
. Once he had learnt this was not allowed, I was able to move on and am now happy riding out or schooling in a basic kk. Hope you get sorted out.

Chex

Visit site
blush.gif
not really. I don't tend to lunge because he'll walk one circle then start rolling, squealing, bucking and galloping round me before running off
blush.gif

I use mainly voice commands for riding, going up the paces anyway! I don't use my legs, just say trot, canter etc. But I could say "whoa" until he cows come home and he wouldn't slow down
frown.gif

Chex

Visit site
Not tried a calmer, it hadn't really occured to me - he's soooo chilled out most of the time, apart from being ridden. He's an angel on the road, its just the problem of grass!

the watcher

Visit site
So maybe some schooling with him learning what your leg aids and seat aids actually mean could be one of your objectives..and I would avoid all off road riding until you have seen an attitude change..then build up small controlled canters with a start and a predetermined stop over short distances.

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a case of a worsening trait of an always enthusiastic chap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, thats exactly it. The mouthpiece is a lozenge.

I would prefer to ride in my myler snaffle everyday, I only changed to the gag as a "quick fix", as it used to get him listening and respecting me again, so he would behave better in a snaffle.

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Cheltenham Gag? That would lift his head.

I would just keep trying bits until you find one that works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking at that bit too. When I try a new bit he goes really well for a week or so, but then straight back to the same old habits
frown.gif

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
hes not listening to you at all with your voice commands either though lol ... he is using you to get what he wants to do and thats go faster ...

Do you use a school ? or out in the field

Would give the lungeing ago .
Get someone that can hold onto him , and perferably do it a sand school and then work towards the field that you ride in once you have got him listening to you from the ground .

Walder

Visit site
Just to add another idea (and to add to your confussion!!) my freind has a very strong horse who does exactly the same as yours - she rides him in a driving bit - it keeps his head up - also i can recomend a fab calmer Ex Stress from mile end saddlery on line - i agree with others dont give him any hard feed at all untill you have sorted the problem out - he wont starve as good grass now coming through!!

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So maybe some schooling with him learning what your leg aids and seat aids actually mean could be one of your objectives..and I would avoid all off road riding until you have seen an attitude change..then build up small controlled canters with a start and a predetermined stop over short distances.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't school as such (and don't have a school lol), but when I work in circles I can get him listening. He'll slow down from my seat and its brilliant!! But then I go for a hack and he completely ignores me
frown.gif

When I was getting him fit I tried to keep him calm and work up from short trots and then canters, but he still just tanks off.

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
hes not listening to you at all with your voice commands either though lol ... he is using you to get what he wants to do and thats go faster ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know
frown.gif

No school just now, but it is in the process of being built. I was wary of lunging him due to stress on joints etc?

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
If you can get a helping hand to lead him round you then work on big slow circles, he'll have no stress on his joints. I am presuming he's adequately fit atm? You can always support his legs if you're too worried.

filly190

Visit site
A daft question, but have you checked that his bit is not too low in his mouth? it sounds like he is grabbing the bit and making off with you. A hole or two higher may give you that bit more control.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
The Cheltenham gag should stop him putting his head down and evading you in that way - it's what they were designed for.

A waterford mouthpiece is also a good option, like the OP said many horses that set their mouths against bits go much better in a waterford.

My other suggestion would be a Myler Combination... which uses mouth, nose and poll pressure so gives plenty of brakes without being too severe on any one area. I ride both mine in Myler Combos and totally swear by them. Expensive but well worth the money.

filly190

Visit site
Further to my post, asking if the bit is too low in his mouth, when you have had the same tack for years, it tends to stretch and we all tend to use the same holes etc. It may just be worth looking into that to see if thats the case.